Retiring

Unfortunate I am 68 Sam.

The golf isn`t great. I`m still playing but last year I was playing off 14 which was my 1st handicap I got in 1983.

I`m off 18.2 now, after 25 year off single figures and it pisses me off. I`ve struggled with illness since 2010 which has cause me breathing and joint problems meaning I can only play with the use of a buggy and in the dryer and warmer months.

As lots on here have come to realise old age and the shit that comes with it can be a bit of a ****.

Keep playing as long as you can and enjoy playing great couses in great weather.

Pete
I am 70 later this year. Love playing golf, never to any great standard, but due to arthritis and back problems I can only get round with a buggy now and am a fair weather golfer too. But hey, nowt wrong with that, it gets me out for the craic with my long term golfing mates and even with a buggy it’s good exercise.

I am 70 later this year. Love playing golf, never to any great standard, but due to arthritis and back problems I can only get round with a buggy now and am a fair weather golfer too. But hey, nowt wrong with that, it gets me out for the craic with my long term golfing mates and even with a buggy it’s good exercise.
Absolutely. Great to hear you’re still playing.

Yes they estimate it on a family of four I think. I'd probably use about £20 a month.
I signed my parents up for a water meter many years ago. My mum pays about £600 less with her meter. (My dad passed away).

I worked for United Utilities for 40 years. Very few singles and couples pay more with a water meter. You can have a water meter for a year, and then choose not to continue with it if it turns out more expensive, so it's impossible to lose out really.

Last edited:

It is good excercise mate I sometimes come off thinking I`ve carried the buggy round.

You aren’t wrong!
Some days, if there’s a chill, my back still wants to seize up by the 19th tee and I’m shaped like a letter S until I get in a hot bath.
But if I didn’t get out for golf I wouldn’t get anything like enough exercise because I’m a self pitying wuss when it comes to back pain.

Good luck. I hope you can achieve it. I read an article by a palliative care nurse once about people's regrets on their death bed. One of the most popular regrets is always: "I wish I hadn't worked so hard." I was lucky to work in a job I loved for most of my life but I have never regretted stopping full-time work which I did aged 58. Life really is too short.

I work away, mostly two week trips, 12 hours a day. I get paid good money and I think I’ve got my head screwed on by saving while I’m young. I don’t want to be running my arse off when my body starts to ache every time you wake up.

Like you said, life is to short. I’ve done a fair bit of travelling already and I want to continue that on a more regular basis. The average person works far to much, I don’t want to fall for the same trap.

I’ll share John Betjeman’s death bed regret.

He said he should have had more sex.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.