Retiring

I did, was aiming for 60, bad decisions and market crash around 2010 changed all that, 62 now, still working about 30 hours per week (self employed) golf twice a week and part time unpaid carer for 88 year old Dad, life has never been tougher but still here and City are kin brilliant:-)
Good to hear you are happy fella even if it didn't quite work out as planned.
I have a couple of DB pensions which I always paid AVCs into plus a well funded DC pension. No mortgage on my own home and also have a couple of cheap rental properties, one of which is fully paid off and the other should be done in 5yrs, so I'm hopeful that I'm fairly well protected but I guess you never know.

Great thread this, I’m after some advice please. I’ve got 15 years to go until I want to retire. That ties in with paying the mortgage off and Claiming my final salary pension.
Change of circumstances shortly means I’m going to be about £700 a month better off shortly and I want to put it towards my retirement plan but I don’t know what to do with it??

Great thread this, I’m after some advice please. I’ve got 15 years to go until I want to retire. That ties in with paying the mortgage off and Claiming my final salary pension.
Change of circumstances shortly means I’m going to be about £700 a month better off shortly and I want to put it towards my retirement plan but I don’t know what to do with it??
I don't pretend to be an expert on this, but if you are looking at putting it away until you retire, then a stocks and shares ISA would be my suggestion

may not be an issue, if you can just check your total pension value v the pension lifetime allowance position. anything over the allowance can be taxed at 55% so could null any tax benefit.

I work away, mostly two week trips, 12 hours a day. I get paid good money and I think I’ve got my head screwed on by saving while I’m young. I don’t want to be running my arse off when my body starts to ache every time you wake up.

Like you said, life is to short. I’ve done a fair bit of travelling already and I want to continue that on a more regular basis. The average person works far to much, I don’t want to fall for the same trap.
You and me both mate

I’m 55, been pumping into my SIPP for a good few years pre COVID so I think I’m well catered for.
I got 2 teenagers who start university next year, once that’s out of the way I’m out of it.
I love my work I just hate the rat race with a passion.
Finishing uni is never the end of it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.