Retiring

Surely the most accurate way to determine annual spending is to just add up the money that leaves bank accounts annually? Most bills are paid by direct debit or credit card. You could look at your statements online for the last couple of years, copy to a spreadsheet and then add it all up?
That’s pretty much what everyone should do regardless of retirement.
It allows you to get an idea of what your outgoings are and plan for major purchases like cars or those once in a lifetime holidays.
Most people, like companies end up in debt because they don’t control their cash flow, not because they cannot afford it.

Just to throw cat amongst the pigeons - has anybody any views/experience on the current spate of 'lifetime mortgages or equity release schemes' as a way of funding retirement.

It seems to me the major downside is the possibilitiy that offspring won't be getting full inheritance but my kids seem to be doing better than me anyway, so in 25 years time (hopefully!!!) it won't matter to them so much

Or are such products going to be the future 'PPI' scandal?
Copy of a post I placed on here last week, may help (hopefully)

Someone mentioned "dreaded equity release"

Due to the financial crisis a decade ago I lost quite a lot of money on my business, so much so I had to remortgage my house which was due to be paid off in 2013. So here I am at 62 with 34k mortgage outstanding for another 6 years and paying nearly 600pm. I've been a member of the Nationwide for a long time and I called about their lifetime mortgages.

I've had one approved and it works out like this:

I pay 136 per month for life, I look at that as about 35 a week rent.
Ive upped the amount to 50k and put the difference in my early retirement pot, when me and Mrs H die we leave a house with a current value of 200k meaning we still leave 150k. If we can't afford to pay the 136 (won't happen) we have the option to not pay and accrue the debt with the 50k, after 25 years that would be about 100k still leaving a chunk of money to pass on.

There's a charge for Solicitors usually about 700 but the Nationwide fund it by giving you a grand.

I wouldn't touch the ER companies out there but Nationwide have done over 7k of the mortgages since they started to offer them.

Surely the most accurate way to determine annual spending is to just add up the money that leaves bank accounts annually? Most bills are paid by direct debit or credit card. You could look at your statements online for the last couple of years, copy to a spreadsheet and then add it all up?
I'm miles off giving work , was just wondering about the true cost in retirement with bills and trying to gauge what I actually need to aim.to save for

Can they go back further than 7 years in certain circumstances?
Not if you’ve survived that 7. So let’s say that WW gifts a house to each kid and lives a further 15 years. So long as the gift was complete and he received no income or benefit from it, there’s no IHT issue.

This article explains when the additional 7 years comes from:

I used to have exams on this stuff and despite doing the job 18 years, it’s never actually come up in the real world as it’s rare people gift CLT’s such as discretionary trusts etc.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely. Only issue would be if you were over the IHT threshold and then died.
This is a whole issue in itself, perhaps we need a "don't give the government bastards anything when you die" thread. My very limited knowledge on this is that there are ways around IHT (eg gifting ahead of time as has been mentioned, trust funds etc) but each comes with risks

Not if you’ve survived that 7. So let’s say that WW gifts a house to each kid and lives a further 15 years. So long as the gift was complete and he received no income or benefit from it, there’s no IHT issue.

This article explains when the additional 7 years comes from:

Cheers, my sister works for an IFA (GJS in Stalybridge), she mentioned a while ago there were rules outside of the 7 years, that article explains it.

Just as an aside, Gregg, the IFA started his business on the 11th September 2001!

Can they go back further than 7 years in certain circumstances?
For income tax/IHT purposes no, but should you need care there have been cases where local authorities have gone further back as it’s classed as “deprivation of assets”. If it’s a significant amount then it’s probably best to get some legal advice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.