Returning to Maine Road

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Scaring Europe to Death, 28 Jun 2019.

1. blue oli

blue oli

I was born and grew up on Edith road, don’t think I could go back and stomach seeing new housing over the ground, last visit was the Southampton game here too

2. Barcon

Barcon

I'm trying to remember where we used to catch the bus back into town after the match. We walked off behind Platt lane if I remember correctly.

3. peoffrey

peoffrey

The double decker buses would be lined up on somewhere like Claremont Road, IIRC. The Southern Cemetery bus from town world be a handy one for Maine Road.

4. bridges9

bridges9

i'm 26 now and my first season ticket was the first season at the City of Manchester Stadium in 03/04. One thing that pisses me off is having pretty much zero memories of Maine Road. My dad did take me once or twice but i can't remember it which fucks me off to this day haha ! did anyone on here get to see Oasis on one of the two nights they did at Maine Road?

5. yeseye

yeseye

EARLY CROSS, CHANCE AT THE FAR POST,HINCHCLIFFE
    I recall them on Lloyd St also.
    Maine Rd was a great location if you were on the bus as not only was the depot a couple of Hundred yards up Claremont Rd/ Princess Rd you had all the 100s, the 40s the infamous 53 etc .

6. Barcon

Barcon

It might have been Lloyd st. I'm thinking about. We definitely walked behind Platt lane to get a bus and not up towards the north stand. I'm talking about in the 70's by the way.
    Cheers.

7. BTH

BTH

Match buses to Wythenshawe (100s etc).went from Bowes Street, outside Princess Road bus depot.
    Buses from town stopped on Lloyd Street so presumably left from there, assuming they ran afterwards.

8. Ladybarn Blue .

Ladybarn Blue .

Thorton Road and Horton road .

9. Innsbruckblue

Innsbruckblue

I was there both nights. Ran one of the bars in the new kippax. About 30 minutes before Oasis came on, we were ordered to close all the bars and invited to join the crowd on the pitch. I made it to the back-stage party in the VIP at the top of the Kippax :)

mcfcantc likes this.
  10. Shame the parkside has gone too.

God I loved Maine Road and all its surroundings, so so so many wonderful memories.