Returning to Maine Road

Anyone living round the ground which I did will remember the new floodlights going up.
Rumour was we sold Dave Wagstaffe to Wolves to pay for them.
Compared to the old ones they were like Blackpool Tower.
I could see them from our back yard and used to out ever day to see if they had got any bigger.

Only thing I miss from Maine Road are the pubs around the ground. The ground itself was a dump. A homage to the ego's of Swales and Franny. Try to imagine Pep standing in front of the Main Stand looking at the Gene Kelly while trying to coach the team through a Champions league match. It just doesn't work

Anyone living round the ground which I did will remember the new floodlights going up.
Rumour was we sold Dave Wagstaffe to Wolves to pay for them.
Compared to the old ones they were like Blackpool Tower.
I could see them from our back yard and used to out ever day to see if they had got any bigger.
I think at one stage they were the tallest floodlights in world football...

Having lived all my childhood no more than half a mile away from the ground my first nursery and primary school were on the Kippax st car park my first time inside the ground was 1963 the damb place dominated my life. I can't and won't go back it would be far to much to take ; (

St Edward’s?

I wouldnt call moving to leeds ...moving on.;)

As the OP clearly says,there is nothing but a feature-less housing estate there now but thats not the point..imo....... The 1st thingi did the day after we won the title in 2012 is return to Maine rd..had a look around Rawcliffe st where a very good friend and life long Blue used to live,had a couple of pints in The Albert, still the nearest pub to another life long Blue.( Big Paul Bevan will never move)....enjoyed a walk around Santiago street and immersed myself in memories...

When u say there is nothing to see...depends how good your imagination is...i loved my trip back.Will always be part of me

The stadium has gone but the place remains the same.

Still feels like us. Still feels like home.

I get goosebumps every time I go back and take a drive around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.