Returning to the office.

I've been working from home since March last year and have only been into the office once since to sort my IT.

We've been told we'll have a hybrid office but there's no date set for it to start yet or how it will work. I imagine they are in no rush as things probably won't change much. It sounds like the policy will be your local teams will just do whatever they want so if they want to be in one week for a few days if needed then they can, otherwise we work from home.

For me it's great, I'm only getting up at 8 instead of 6, finishing earlier and I've probably saved thousands on petrol and not eating out for lunch etc.

Thats what i am doing, its not the best basic salary so the fact i work early to late and avoid long travelling has been great.

sounds like they have it spot on for oyu
It's even better actually -- when City matches start at 4 or 4:30 am my time it's no problem; I'm up that early anyhow for work during the week. And CL matches or evening matches (like tonight's) are lunch time out here, so the pub beckons now that it's open. Melding City with work isn't really an issue. The other thing is I get family time on the weekends because inevitably our match is finished or near-finished by the time everyone wakes up! I have it pretty good even though 4:30 am sounds awful to a lot of people.

I went into London yesterday and walked over London Bridge at lunch time - it's still eerily quiet, mad how busy it is usually - i can't see London life going back to norm for office workers
Did you walk past The Scoop & Potters field park?

Close to one of the offices I work from & normally buzzing full of people & tourists pre-pandemic times.

Did you walk past The Scoop & Potters field park?

Close to one of the offices I work from & normally buzzing full of people & tourists pre-pandemic times.

is that the grassy bit near tower bridge ?

i didn't walk past that way, but yeh can imagine that area all alot quieter

it's mad how many sky high offices there are... what the hell are they going to do with them?

It's even better actually -- when City matches start at 4 or 4:30 am my time it's no problem; I'm up that early anyhow for work during the week. And CL matches or evening matches (like tonight's) are lunch time out here, so the pub beckons now that it's open. Melding City with work isn't really an issue. The other thing is I get family time on the weekends because inevitably our match is finished or near-finished by the time everyone wakes up! I have it pretty good even though 4:30 am sounds awful to a lot of people.

I'm usually getting to sleep around 2am daily here. (long story)

I do wish sometimes our games are midday and during the week. Make it more enjoyable

Good topic discussion

there is going to be quite a divide in our office on this

I work central London, most have long commutes to get in and have worked perfectly well from home since start of lockdown - but it seems the bosses want us back in as normal after 21st June, but alot of the big players at our company who bring in the money will refuse, a few have moved out of London to far away and speaking to a couple they won't come back full time ever again.

Me personally, much prefer working from home, plus the money saving on travel. I'm far more productive, instead of 3 hours travel a day, i can actually be at home working. it is less stressful. i am spending more time with my family and generally happier, the thought of going to work 5 days a week seems very daunting.
Look on the positive side...if you go back we could have a Top 100 Journeys to Work thread ;)

Personally I’ve found working from home quite hard from a mental health perspective. I’ve missed the banter with my colleagues.

I’m lucky to work for a small company in the events/culture sector (thankfully we’ve largely survived all this intact financially) so we’ve always had a pretty flexible approach to working hours and home working.

The weird thing is I’ve now got used to being at home and while I’ve been going into the office about two days a week, I’d feel weird about being in a busy office full of people now.

I guess everyone and every company is different.

is that the grassy bit near tower bridge ?

i didn't walk past that way, but yeh can imagine that area all alot quieter

it's mad how many sky high offices there are... what the hell are they going to do with them?

Yes, that’s the area. Amazingly in the 80’s & 90’s it was waste land & London Bridge station was a small connection point people only used to pop by to see the London dungeon show.

The Shard is just a ridiculous height but handy to impress any potential dates.

Reckon quite a few offices will turn into inevitable flats for the wealthy.

Although I do suspect (if we get this pandemic & other potential pandemics) under control city centre business & commuting life will return to pre-pandemic times. However, I’m estimating 5-10 years.

Hopefully, hybrid working is something companies carryover/progress into post pandemic working culture but humans are normally creatures of habit.

Done one day in office since March and that was only as a gesture as over half dept either taking voluntary redundancy or being made redundant via compulsory. I went in for day and we had pub lunch. We open to public next week but as not customer facing (I manage IT service desk front line support) rumour is I will not be back in until at least Sept even next year. Story is potentially we will have 3 options (not sure who decides who gets which) work full time in office, work full time at home or flexible with couple days of each

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.