Richard Dunne

Only thing that that sucked was how he left. Hughes basically fed him the cold shoulder. Wow. Karma's a woman!

Loved his character and heart but I really don't think he was as good a player was we'd like to remember. Distin - who was a truly class player - elevated him (great centre-backs often do that to their less-able partners).

I think Dunne's lack of quality was exposed in that Hamburg game. Playing against decent opposition in a side that was beginning to expect a bit more quality from its players, all his flaws and lack of brain came to the fore. A sad way to go for a loyal servant, but the truth was he just couldn't maintain the required level of performance on a weekly basis.

Second only to Vinny in the last 30 years. What a warrior.

And for Ireland, that Russia game has to be the single best centre back performance I've ever seen. Had Baresi ever had a game like that we'd still be hearing about it.

What he lacked in quality he more than made up for in tenacity, passion, and just generally steam rolling opposition forwards. Wasn't afraid to get stuck, and we fucking love that. Deceptively quick for a big guy. At times he must have felt like the only one who was putting his foot in and actually defending, must have been infuriating for him on occasion. Had to look away when he tried to block crosses in the 6 yard box though ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.