Richard Dunne

The highlight for me of his time here was when he beat Henry for pace who then dived trying to get him sent off for an elbow...Henry did the same against someone else for France a couple of years later.

Dunny wasn't a worldie but he was the Zab of his time and played with the heart of one of us.

Signed for £3.5 in 2000 because Everton felt if he was that big that if he got a serious injury and was out for a significant length of time he would never get down to his playing weight again.
300 games later and 4 POTY awards we sold him to Villa for £5m So do the math
Top top bloke we should remember his contribution

Oxford dictionary : Legend :" a very famous person, especially in a particular field, who is admired by other people." In the world of City that probably covers it. No requirement for a string of titles, the skills of Messi or the wonderful achievements our team of the past 10 years to be a legend.

Am i going mad or did Dunney turn us down a couple times when he played for Everton? IIRC we went in for him a couple times at least, same with Haaland and i *think* Mark Kennedy?

Richard Dunne, bloody hell,
Paulo Maldini one week
Phil Babb the next. Haha.
Heart of a lion
Passion, effort, courage.
Brain farts regular.
Own goals all over the gaff, some belting ones too.
Entertaining? Yes! City through and through?yes!
I like seeing him on bt covering our games aswell.

legend.

Signed for £3.5 in 2000 because Everton felt if he was that big that if he got a serious injury and was out for a significant length of time he would never get down to his playing weight again.
300 games later and 4 POTY awards we sold him to Villa for £5m So do the math
Top top bloke we should remember his contribution

He was not the best pro at Everton, liked a night on the ale as did a few in their squad at the time. His career was going to go one way or another. I think Everton cashed in rather than wait and find out.

He had a run in with Keegan fairly early on about his fitness / professionalism and from that moment he didn't look back.

I will always remember him with great affection. I liked the description of him on here as the Zabba of his day in terms of giving his all in games. Yes, he did score a lot of OGs but often because he had been left as the last ditch defender. I think Boro beat us 1-0 at the Etihad once without an effort on target because of a Dunnie OG, but the guy was a hero more often than not.

Loved Dunney, he was actually a very underrated player who went on to have a couple of really good seasons for Villa after we sold him. We let him go at the start of the 09/10 season, we then struggled defensively and this was a big factor in Hughes being sacked so I suppose it worked out for the best in the end!

He was not the best pro at Everton, liked a night on the ale as did a few in their squad at the time. His career was going to go one way or another. I think Everton cashed in rather than wait and find out.

He had a run in with Keegan fairly early on about his fitness / professionalism and from that moment he didn't look back.

I seem to remember the rumours at the time centred around Dunney rocking up to training still pissed from the night before. RTE were waiting for him as they had an interview scheduled. He was put in a room with a jug of coffee and tried to sober up. Keegan was understandably pissed off and I think wanted to get the PFA involved.

My favourite personal highlight around that time was seeing Dunne outside Maine Road after a match and a fan saying him to him 'if Keegan has another go at you just tell him to fuck off'. The look on his face was brilliant.

On another note his departure was handled badly, from the disrespect from Garry Cook 'his name doesnt roll on the tongue in Beijing' maybe not Gaz but he's the club captain and 4 time player of the year so bit of respect wouldn't go a miss. I remember hearing that he hadn't been selected for a match day squad so he went and watched the game in a box with Liam or Noel. Think it was a game v Wolves. Glad to see he doesn't hold any ill feeling
, he's always pro City when he's a pundit. Top bloke.

I remember him scoring an opening goal against us at Villa park and a lot of the City support applauding the goal.
Not me though even though he was great for City the seasons before.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.