RIP David Meek

I too was a messenger boy at the evening news (1970-71), in between leaving school and going in the forces. I remember David Meek being a decent bloke, who would stop and chat to us lads as we waited for the next shout of “Boy!”.

RIP

Last edited:
Had a drunken rant at peter Gardner about 30 years ago coming back from a defeat at Notts county I think,not sure what about, but he said he was just a reporter and had no love for city after 20 years reporting,I said if I was with a big fat horrible bastard I would have a bit of love for her after 20 years,now 30 years later I'm with a big fat horrible bastard and I hate her.!!! Only joking about the last bit.!!!!

I’m sure she has had a makeover and slimmed down quite considerably in the last ten years.

She looks like a completely different woman.

Sorry to divert this thread a bit. Some (many) years ago I seem to remember going into a temporary bar across Deansgate from the MEN building, I was told it was there because the local haunt of the hacks was undergoing a facelift. Did this actually happen or did I dream it? It must have been around 1977. I remember the place was full and the consumption rate was high!

I have to confess that I didn't mind reading his reports on games in the 60s and early 70s before we left the UK for NZ.
But I preferred Peter Gardener's articles - wonder why?

His brother in law is a big blue. Someone who I`ve travelled to many games over the years, but only really get to see at funerals these days. If you`re reading this mate I`m sorry for your loss. I`ll always remember those tickets he sourced us at the Swamp in their main stand, and the giggle we had that afternoon, even though we lost.
RIP Meekie.

Last edited:
If my memory hasn't gone completely didn't Meek used to travel on the rags team coach until he wrote a critical article (I'm trying to recall what the content was) and was unceremoniously booted off and told to make his own way to matches in the future?

Correct....this story was recounted at his funeral last week.

Eventually they invited him to travel on the team coach again and he refused

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.