RIP John Challis (Boycie)

My son served him in a shop in Stockport where he was doing Panto. Whilst serving him he said at least a dozen people in the shop hid in the aisle shouting "Marlene!" Took it all in good grace and spent half an hour chatting with people and having pictures taken
Must have been the same time I met him and his wife briefly in the food hall at M & S in stockport, I still remember her letting out a little laugh at my double take as I realised 'Boycie' was behind me in the queue, John just smiled, knowingly, but they both seemed really pleasant and not up their own arse's, a trait I admire in people who've attained a level of fame.

R.I.P John, you were part of something very special that put more than a smile on people's faces.

RIP John. His definitive role will always be Boycie in a genuinely breathtaking ensemble cast. Really great to hear that he was a decent down to earth guy.

John also played a heavy in Doctor Who The Seeds of Doom 1976. With a plot regarding megalomaniac millionaire trying to enslave the human race via an alien plant, it could have been a disaster. Instead with a hard-bitten director fresh from working on the Sweeney, John was cast as a ruthless mercenary, becomes undone by events beyond his understanding. It was a great role that showed skillful character development over the serials 6 week running time.

Anyway, altogether now "Marleeeeennneeeee!?"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.