Ripped off by fake site - advice please

They are everywhere. On Google and Facebook especially. Basically if something looks too good too be true it probably is. They're getting far too sophisticated. I nearly bought a set of golf clubs from what I thought was Rock Bottom Golf in the USA but something seemed off even though they basically imitated the website to a tee (pardon the pun).

I bought a food processor online a while back. The money never came out of my account so after a week or so I figured I had fucked up entering the card number. I decided to use the wife’s card. Same thing, nothing. About a month later I got a random charge on my visa. Told the wife to check hers and someone had put ten grands worth of wine and boat rentals on it.
All refunded by visa.

My advice is if it's a lot cheaper for a branded product on a site than it is on most other sites, then you're taking a risk. And I'm not blaming you as I nearly got caught out when trying to buy a replacement big Maglite torch. I was just about to put my card details in and hit enter when something made me stop and check up site reviews. They were awful so I hurriedly abandoned the transaction.

Worth doing anytime using an unfamiliar site regardless of how clean polished it looks. I'd be more suspicious if you can't find reviews or historical references to it that are a few years old.

If the seller doesn't respond to the reverse charge/ charge back claim, you will get your money back I would imagine. Its unlikely they will respond if its a scam. Even if they did you are good. Most payment processors will work like that were a dispute can be opened within 90 days of purchase. The bank will open this on your behalf. I'd be really suprised if you didn't get money back mate.

I did this last year with edreams, they were not responding to customer service requests, so did a reverse charge through bank, it took about 6 weeks but got a full refund 2000e and that was a legit company.

Also, noticed someone using card to purchase films on amazon, took a year before noticed it, got onto bank and they refunded pretty swiftly.

I work in I. T by the way, do the charge back thing and you should be good

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.