Rising damp on internal walls

A lot of the time, poor workmanship when the house was built means that the overflow mortar has blocked the cavity wall low down so water builds up over time causing rising damp.

Basically, brickies are lazy and sloppy bastards!

I think you will find it was firemen who had slept through their night shift and did a foreigner so your sentence is correct just remove brickies and put in foremen.

I'm registering an interest in this thread. Our cellar is damp as Fck.

How do modern cellar conversions work - do they stick a membrane on the bricks and platerboard over?

My cellar sits just above the water table, so when it pissed down, I had water come up through the cement floor, where it met the walls. 3am mopping up, towels, sandbags, the lot - a right PITA, espeically while I didn't know what was causing it.

Eventually, had to get it tanked with hydrophobic render, Hey'di K-11 slurry. It was a long, expensive job, but it's guaranteed for 25 years so I'm happy

Its a 120 year old terrace mate. They are rock solid. Its just one of them things and I will get it sorted. I have a surveyor coming out next week to give me an independent view. Will take it from there then. Had an offer of help from a blue on here, so will hit him up once I know what the script is.

120-yr old terrace, my bet is inadequate airflow, I live in a terrace and have spent 10 years getting windows, vents etc sorted so there is airflow.

Anyone work in damp proofing or out like that? I have some damp on internal walls and could do with it looking at. It is on a few walls internally so don't think it is a leak from any where.

I was going to bodge it up and sell the house but it looks like I am staying now, so need to sort it out.

Hi mate,

Good move getting a surveyor to have a look. Make sure he is independent rather than connected to a damp-proofing company.

Not sure of the age of your property but many older properties, which are poorly ventilated, people don't open windows, no mechanical extract fans to kitchens/utility rooms/bathrooms have long baths, and dry clothes inside can result in the problems you describe which is more to do with how people live rather than a rising damp problem. Moist air finds cold spots on the wall, reaches its dew point and reforms back as damp/moisture on the walls.

Often you see black patches around your skirting boards and particularly behind wardrobes, cupboards etc where the flow of air is restricted.

I rented a 50s bungalow a few years ago and that had these issues. Quite simply the bathroom had no extract fans, window to bathroom opened onto a walkway (so nobody opened it), no trickle vents to windows to keep air movement internally. Things improved immediately once we moved in knowing what the causes were.

Good luck, hope it all works out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.