Risk Assessments

I had to do a risk assessment for a commercial laundry we opened about 7 years ago. We are on a small industrial area previously owned by the local council not far from the river. Everything passed by Welsh Water, Snowdonia National Park and Gwynedd Council. Then came the risk assessment......
One of the questions was What would I do if the river flooded and water came in the building.
" Get out and move to higher ground " I replied, pointing out that human instinct being a wonderful attribute.
"Good "
" But you've just spent £7m on flood defences so all this is technically meaningless...."
" The flood defences might not hold " came the reply
" Then why not spend £10m and make sure they do...."

You are correct - however in this day of the culture of suing and it always being "someone else's fault" these things need writing down, trained for and signed for.
I worked for a company that spent 10 mins during induction on how to lift an empty box (obviously pretending it was heavy) which was embarrassing to actually watch. But everyone signed to say they had been trained to lift heavy objects correctly, therefore reducing the risk of the company being sued for not providing training or against claims by staff who have a bad back due to heavy lifting.

And that is the crux of risk assessment. It isn't designed to reduce the risk of an accident happening to an employee or visitor - it is all about companies reducing the amount of claims and compensation that they may have to pay out

100% mate. My father in law used to be a welder on the oil rigs. He was supposed to wear a safety harness but could never get in to the spaces to weld shit with it on. All the H&S bloke would tell him is you need to put one on…followed by my father in law telling him to fuck off I can’t do this job wearing one. Box ticked, you fall, your problem

100% mate. My father in law used to be a welder on the oil rigs. He was supposed to wear a safety harness but could never get in to the spaces to weld shit with it on. All the H&S bloke would tell him is you need to put one on…followed by my father in law telling him to fuck off I can’t do this job wearing one. Box ticked, you fall, your problem
That's not how it works mate. If your father in law fell, the company would still be liable.

That's not how it works mate. If your father in law fell, the company would still be liable.

Fair enough mate, fortunately he never fell and has now retired. Although the rigs would have a few falls a year.

I’d have thought a company could argue he’d been given the right equipment, the right training and committed to doing “the right thing” would avoid liability. Good to know it’s not just a tick box exercise though mate and that they are responsible for the compliance as well

Make a badge up giving your name and local council logo and title of health n safety officer.
Walk into a similar sized warehouse asking to see a copy of their risk assessment document and thank them very much on your way out.
If they say they don't have one, bollock the company director and say you will be back in 7 days and will close the place down if they havent got one.
This has all the makings of a very funny TV series. When do we start filming?

Hi All

A few months back there was a thread regarding a risk assessment on a milk float.

I've now been tasked with writing risk assessments for a warehouse - so the milk float scenario didn't really work for me!!

I've limited knowledge in Health and Safety, so was wondering if anybody knows of any good websites/forums which will do the job for me.......I mean help me find out the info I need!!

It's so vast, I don't really know where to start so thought my Blue Brothers (and sisters) could maybe help

The few I have looked at haven't been all that helpful.

Thanks everyone!!
H&S is a bloody nightmare for employers, and can be costly if they don't grip it properly.

Have you had any formal training in assessing risk? If you have't I would ask your employer if they are willing to send you on an IOSH approved training course. IOSH Managing Safely is probably the best place to start.

Essentially, risk assessors are there to point out 'the bleeding obvious'. You job as as a risk assessor is to point out to your employer (the company) the risk to you and anyone else in the workplace (other staff and visitors) risks they may encounter through carrying out their duties during a normal working day. The employer 'owns' the risk at all times.

An RA essentially boils down to three question;

What is the risk?
Who is effected by the risk?
What is being done to reduce the potential for accident/injury?

There should be sign off from your management and an agreed risk mitigation plan and also an agreed review timeline (usually a year unless there are any changes to working practices that might effect safety).

Last edited:
Exactly! The management knew the job couldn't be done without breaking the rules and they allowed it to happen. A clear violation of H&S law. If he'd have done it without management knowing then it could be argued that he's committed a 'wilful folly' in ignoring the company H&S policy and it's likely the company would be in the clear.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.