#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry I hurt your fanboy feelings but Bennacer far outperformed Mahrez in the AFCON who appart from a freekick was extremely pedestrian.
You may know more about the Algerian team than me but based on the highlights of AFCON, Mahrez was involved in 6 goals at least ! He scored three goals and delivered three assists/ pre assist. Saying that he was pedestrian is an utter biased judgement.

You don't seem to be good at judging my judgement of people's opinion. Sorry but I think I'm good at judging yours. I repeat, your opinion about Mahrez has nothing to do with his football, I would bet my last sterling on that.

Care to elaborate on your point rather than vaguely throwing around words?

Discussing an opinion on a forum. Heresy!
That’s not an opinion, that is nonsense ! Ask any Tom, Dick and Harry, they would tell you that his first touch is on par with the likes of Messi and Neymar. Your opinion would have made sense if you had criticized any other aspects of his game. Belittling his first touch ability proves that either you don’t know a clue about football or you hate the player for an extra- sporting reason !

You may know more about the Algerian team than me but based on the highlights of AFCON, Mahrez was involved in 6 goals at least ! He scored three goals and delivered three assists/ pre assist. Saying that he was pedestrian is an utter biased judgement.

Every judgement is biased because it is based on human opinion. When it comes to AFCON performances most premier league players have been pedestrian throughout the years, including Salah and Mane (even Toure). This is a comparison on what I expect from them considering they are supposed to be those nations best players, which I suppose shows how club and national teams form do not translate well. OP claimed that Mahrez led them to the AFCON victory, which he did by being the captain but not through individual performances. Bennacer was more impressive throughout the tournament as he was more integral to their win along the way with M’ Bolhi who basically single handedly won them the final. That is my judgment over the Algerian national team, which as you rightly pointed out is biased.

Last edited:
That’s not an opinion, that is nonsense ! Ask any Tom, Dick and Harry, they would tell you that his first touch is on par with the likes of Messi and Neymar. Your opinion would have made sense if you had criticized any other aspects of his game. Belittling his first touch ability proves that either you don’t know a clue about football or you hate the player for an extra- sporting reason !

Need a dictionary to look up what opinion means? I disagree that he even remotely resembles the control of Messi. I accept it may be nonsense for others and that is fine as it is their opinion which they are obviously entitled to. I never said I hated Mahrez, I am unsatisfied that we spent this much on a luxury signing when our academy is full of players who can provide the same cover for our positions on the wing.

Need a dictionary to look up what opinion means? I disagree that he even remotely resembles the control of Messi. I accept it may be nonsense for others and that is fine as it is their opinion which they are obviously entitled to. I never said I hated Mahrez, I am unsatisfied that we spent this much on a luxury signing when our academy is full of players who can provide the same cover for our positions on the wing.
There are facts which are undeniable, his first touch is just extraordinary. You can not write him off based on one single bad first touch. Please stop digging your heels in and ry to come up with other reasons for slagging him off, I would take the academy argument but basing your judgement on his first touch does not do you any favor. The guy is really and truly talented, we can argue about whether or not he fits into Pep system, we can question his importance for the team but come on ! how on earth didn’t you notice how sublime is his first touch ?!

There are facts which are undeniable, his first touch is just extraordinary. You can not write him off based on one single bad first touch. Please stop digging your heels in and ry to come up with other reasons for slagging him off, I would take the academy argument but basing your judgement on his first touch does not do you any favor. The guy is really and truly talented, we can argue about whether or not he fits into Pep system, we can question his importance for the team but come on ! how on earth didn’t you notice how sublime is his first touch ?!

Fair enough I should have clarified it better, which I did poorly with a hyperbolic example of comparing his control to a rapist when I spoke about inconsistencies. Mahrez is obviously talented and during games where he is up for it the ball can stick to his feet and he is a lot more alert/tidy in possession(Brighton this season). My personal assessment so far into his City career is that his rotational participation, and especially when he is used as sub, brings the worst out of his ability and he tends to be excessively sluggish with keeping the ball. I see this as an issue with adjustment with inconsistent starts but the dilemma is that on merit he is not forcing Bernardo or Sterling to the bench. Which brings me to the final point and my main issue which is that we have a luxury signing on the bench who’s role could have been used by youngsters, but if Pep prefers it this way then I will be content with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.