#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think people really ought to have learnt by now, and hopefully Mahrez will be the turning point.

We should stop being so overly critical of players that are either developing or new (or both). The fact that they're still here at the club is indicative alone of their quality.

I respect all the posters that have been grown up enough to admit they were wrong about him, but really we need to have the faith from the start.

It's ok to constructively criticize and point out a player's not as perfect as some would have you believe but to write them off and castigate them as awful (in general) is just OTT. The reaction to some players after the Norwich game was uncalled for.

With Mahrez, it's amazing what a bit of confidence can do. He's no longer playing with the insecurity of trying to impress and is instead just doing his thing. And he's incredible.
Never worth even trying to judge a player until they've had a full preseason.

Pep's going to have another headache who to put on the team sheet. If Sane really ever wanted to leave, he'll want it even more now.

I think I understand where you’re going here but care to elaborate? I’m assuming you’re alluding to Mahrez ‘locking up the right wing’ and distributing Bernardo’s minutes some on the left. One of my biggest pet peeves is playing players out of their most optimal position and also assuming that players will play at positions that they don’t primarily play at (Mahrez left and Bernardo free 8 specifically). Blues said Mahrez will soak up minutes on the left and Bernardo will transition centrally and I don’t think I believe that...the position I’m not thrilled about is Bernardo playing a renaissance role where he’s constantly changing.

Curious what your stance is on that.

I have enjoyed watching him play since day one and have always defended him against absurdity. He has something natural in his game from street football that just doesn't want to blend away with so-called professionalism.

Really like this take. This meta type analysis is where the real fun is at for us diehard fans. I’ll piggyback and say that Pep said his only problem is that he doesn’t handle rotation well. My read into that is that he takes in personally and under the right scenarios it gives his game an even more boost when it starts clicking for him. I think it’s really trending into that direction too.

I think I understand where you’re going here but care to elaborate? I’m assuming you’re alluding to Mahrez ‘locking up the right wing’ and distributing Bernardo’s minutes some on the left. One of my biggest pet peeves is playing players out of their most optimal position and also assuming that players will play at positions that they don’t primarily play at (Mahrez left and Bernardo free 8 specifically). Blues said Mahrez will soak up minutes on the left and Bernardo will transition centrally and I don’t think I believe that...the position I’m not thrilled about is Bernardo playing a renaissance role where he’s constantly changing.

Curious what your stance is on that.

I think Bernardo can easily play on the left side. He is not some great scorer and that nullifies lot of threat from his cutting inside when he is on the right. He is also great runner and can help our left side where our fullbacks are not brilliant defensively. With that, we could rotate him, Sterling and Mahrez on two wings. Mahrez should probably only play on the right as he ha a great foot so his cutting inside is much more dangerous while his, maybe, lesser defensive abilities could be covered by KDB who is operating more to the right side.

BSilva obviously can play centrally and maybe it is his best position, but then we'll still have problem how to give time to Foden.

I think Bernardo can easily play on the left side. He is not some great scorer and that nullifies lot of threat from his cutting inside when he is on the right. He is also great runner and can help our left side where our fullbacks are not brilliant defensively. With that, we could rotate him, Sterling and Mahrez on two wings. Mahrez should probably only play on the right as he ha a great foot so his cutting inside is much more dangerous while his, maybe, lesser defensive abilities could be covered with KDB who is operating more to the right side.

Silva obviously can play centrally and maybe it is his best position, but then we'll still have problem how to give a time to Foden.

Agreed. I couldn’t fit in in but alluded to it...I don’t have an issue necessarily with Bernardo floating around but it seems harsh on his talent level to not have a spot locked down. Also alluded to his transition to a central role and is that’s the case I’m not sure how Phil’s future is with us unless he’s willing to accept a 1600 minute squad role where he’s almost dependent on a major injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.