#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found it interesting last night that he was actually up against an out of position Hojberg, who I thought handled him brilliantly. As soon as the ball got to Mahrez he just fired straight into him at full pace and Riyad just couldn’t deal with it. Pretty shocking really.

haha .. I see that the booboys (co-editors of last year's infamous "Mahrez is shite" thread) are back to this year's thread .. God help us!

Last edited:
Do not argue with somebody who thinks that he is perfect while he fails to see the obvious: POTY, a contender for ballon d’or for the second time in his career, winner of best African player award, serious candidate for the same award this year ahead of Salah, arguably the best player of AFCON, city player of the month and winner of load of trophies.

Doesn’t mean much dude. Many players have been selected as contenders for BDO, and the winner at the end is one of two or maximum three. African football is shit, winning AFCON and best player in this crappy tournament doesn’t mean much at all actually, whether the winner is Mahrez, Salah, Maradona or Messi. For the record, I have watched NUMEROUS African football games, the worst of the worst. In fact, Asian football caught up and surpassed African football.

Mahrez is still a limited, selfish, one dimensional player. Excluding occasional outstanding performances, in most of the games he slows us down because his style doesn’t fit our system. He has the typical style of street footballers who are obsessed with meaningless, flashy moves. And, for those who are, for unknown reasons, fascinated by his first touch, good street footballers typically have a good first touch, but that doesn’t mean they are great team-players or they fit a complicated system like ours.

Mahrez had been overinflated by media when he played for Leicester City. If he was playing for us at the time he won POTY award, he would have never won it because media would have never overinflated him as a City player. Notice that just two years ago, those who elected Mahrez for POTY award didn’t elect KDB. I hope you agree with me that KDB quality is much much much higher than Mahrez, yet he was not elected for POTY award. So it is bullshit at the end.

In summary, I have never appreciated what he had to contribute when he was playing for Leicester; most likely his style fitted their system, but now I am behind him because he wears sky blue, nothing more. I wouldn’t mind seeing Mahrez leaving in January for example. The door will eventually open to younger players who won’t have the bad habits of street footballers that he developed over years and will never get rid off. Younger players on the long run will do better. I am typically with Guardiola, but I am no worshiper of any manager. Mahrez was a mistake.

A serious question, how is Algeria doing after winning the AFCON, the top competition in the world? I remember how ppl on Blue Moon were furious when Bosnians were, as said at that time, “invading” the forum to defend Edin Džeko. Now, Algerians visit the forum only to defend their poster boy, and all is heard is silence. No doubt they will disappear and change their colors to red, yellow, black, etc., once their poster boy leaves City and wears different colors :))

I am bracing for the attacks by Algerians, as well as by some BlueMooners who either try to intimidate others to consider every City player a world class/best of the best, or who genuinely love Mahrez despite his serious limitations. But remember it is my opinion and will not change, and I have been watching football for almost 50 years now ;-)

Riyad Mahrez’s free-kick against Nigeria in the AFCON has appeared in a physics exam.

EINGLliXYAAwSgT.jpg

Must have watched a different game than to others as I think he was a standout performer in the first half.
Yep, you watched a different game, he was gash.

edit.....assuming you weren’t at the game, it can throw a different light I accept, but believe me he wasn’t good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.