#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been pointed out,a hatrick in the Prem is no mean feat despite the opposition....yes,it would have been held in more esteem had it happened against the Chavs or Spurs,but c'mon.....give the lad a bit of credit,its due.

Can i reserve judgement until I see his next game ? I have seen too much stupid and lazy play to go overboard just yet.

Well done for the hat-trick Mahrez, but if Pep is being more ruthless, it's the games from here on that count.

He had a cracker against but the works starts now . Sane as John stones if he starts to deliver them I will be the first to say well done and maybe I was wrong but until that happens I’ll reserve judgement. As for mendy I’m afraid he hat ship has long gone for me . He could have the greatest game ever on Saturday but I know come next week he will be back to normal so he needs going as soon as possible .

this morning with My zoom trainer, a united fan, i had to explain that Mahrez, is not called Mahrez, he is called ‘FFs Mahrez’.

:-)

Hi Guys,
My first post in this forum, hope you will excuse my English.
As a supporter of the Algerian national team, I can sometimes be critical of RM performance like any supporter, especially on his lack of agressiveness and his unwillingness to defend, even though I noticed some improvement since he's been playing with MC. However, I don't think he deserves the harsh critisism he's undrgoing this season because he just doesn't fit in Pep's playing style. Moving tirelessly from one wing to the other in front of a classic anti-Pep style 2 lines defense.
In this situation, either you play a weak team and you win the game just beceause in the 10 times passing game you have better players, or you play a strong team and generally you look/are vulnerable to the counter-attacks. The last years of Pep's in Barca were like this, The Pep's bayern was like this, and today MC is like this. There is like a Pep cycle when he coach a team: a brilliant beginning in a new champ, because the orther teams discover the Pep style, and then everybody park the two lines and counterattack pushing Pep's team to ineffeciency. Of course it's not mathematics but this is the general twist of Pep's cycle.
In this context, you have two kinds of players: those who play the security : you pass him the ball, he gives it back to you, taking no risk when facing an oppenent, and again and again. At the end of the game, you score him 6 or 7: he wasn't brilliant but was not bad neither... And then you have those who are frustrated of the redundancy of the game and try to unlock the defense by taking higher risks and sometimes playing individually. At the end of the game, you score him 8 or 9 because you won thanks to him or 4 or 5 because you lost "because of him". And Mahrez is this kind of players. He always try to unlock the game on his wing when he judges that it is possible, whether he got it right or not, notwithstanding the internal conflicts of the team.
All this to say I don't think he is the main problem of MC, I mean I don't think MC will win the Champ league just by replacing Mahrez.

Hi Guys,
As a supporter of the Algerian national team, I can sometimes be critical of RM performance like any supporter, especially on his lack of agressiveness and his unwillingness to defend, even though I noticed some improvement since he's been playing with MC. However, I don't think he deserves the harsh critisism he's undrgoing this season because he just doesn't fit in Pep's playing style. Moving tirelessly from one wing to the other in front of a classic anti-Pep style 2 lines defense.
In this situation, either you play a weak team and you win the game just beceause in the 10 times passing game you have better players, or you play a strong team and generally you look/are vulnerable to the counter-attacks. The last years of Pep's in Barca were like this, The Pep's bayern was like this, and today MC is like this. There is like a Pep cycle when he coach a team: a brilliant beginning in a new champ, because the orther teams discover the Pep style, and then everybody park the two lines and counterattack pushing Pep's team to ineffeciency. Of course it's not mathematics but this is the general twist of Pep's cycle.
In this context, you have two kinds of players: those who play the security : you pass him the ball, he gives it back to you, taking no risk when facing an oppenent, and again and again. At the end of the game, you score him 6 or 7: he wasn't brilliant but was not bad neither... And then you have those who are frustrated of the redundancy of the game and try to unlock the defense by taking higher risks and sometimes playing individually. At the end of the game, you score him 8 or 9 because you won thanks to him or 4 or 5 because you lost "because of him". And Mahrez is this kind of players. He always try to unlock the game on his wing when he judges that it is possible, whether he got it right or not, notwithstanding the internal conflicts of the team.
All this to say I don't think he is the main problem of MC, I mean I don't think MC will win the Champ league just by replacing Mahrez.
Welcome, friend. Your English is very good, by the way. :)

We Brits always put high value on effort and “balls”, which is why a lot of posters have given Mahrez a hard time and the likes of Bernardo an easier run. When City were shit, we were still able to admire players like Andy Morrison and Paul Dickov, people who you have probably not heard of because they were never big names.

Nevertheless, some of the more balanced posters recognise that Mahrez actually notched up good key statistics last season and that he’s more able to weave a piece of magic than, again, Bernardo. And that’s partly because he does indeed take more risks. I’d agree, Mahrez isn’t our biggest problem, although he does make for an easy target.

What I would say though is it’s perfectly possible to harness skill and risk taking with more serious effort. For two examples, we need look no further than David Silva and KDB. Mahrez fares best when the going is good and in a team that plays a certain style of football. It’s fair to say he was never the ideal choice for us.

Hi Guys,
Welcome

Thank you guys.
Sir baconface, yes, I got your point. Then it was really a big hiring mistake cause he obviously doesn't fit physically with the team culture. He's rather a technician unlokcker and not predisposed at all to be a worrior.

I always wonder with Mahrez, had he been playing for us 15 years ago, what the perception of him would be today. It's a funny dichotomy but I think we'd love him and would totally excuse any hint of selfishness in his play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.