#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well barring set-pieces United had that very problem tonight with Fernandes being kept quiet.

Spurs have been the same whenever Kane or Son aren't playing.
Yeah perfect examples right there.

Keep Fernandes quiet and United don't know what to do.

Spurs look absolutely amazing if Kane and Son are on form, and relying on 2 is atleast better than 1, but we have seen them drop so many points if they aren't on form.

You basically have to be Messi for the team to only rely on you, and even Barcelona struggle with that mentality. That's why when they had Suarez and Neymar, basically 3 world beaters they were invincible.

Just thought he deserved atleast a small mention.

I think false 9 suits him more than RW.

If he has to be selfish, then as our striker in the box, that's fine and he would be in better positions for it to work.

Dropped deep to overload the midfield and because he has to do this and link up, his passing is FORCED to be used, which he does well.

KdB, Mahrez or Bernardo, honestly think we play better with a midfielder in the 9 role than an actual striker. It forces us to rely on goals from everyone else which is a good thing imo.

This is also an extra position for Bernardo and Mahrez to play in to get more game time, Sterling RW more often is better due to his speed, pushes Jesus more as well as not undisputed because Aguero is always hurt. Win-win.
He did alright tonight but I’d rather we played a real 9.

He’s not our best option wide right and he can’t play on the left. Unless he finds another level soon he should be sold in the summer.

He did alright tonight but I’d rather we played a real 9.

He’s not our best option wide right and he can’t play on the left. Unless he finds another level soon he should be sold in the summer.
Yeah, I'm not saying he was exceptional, he was fine, atleast nothing to complain about.

But the option he provides, and the other midfielders who can play there (KdB, Bernardo) makes our play look more pleasing to me.

I think the attack is more fluid. I guess my comment is less about Mahrez and more about the false 9 option.

We still need a real 9, but it's nice to rotate between the options as it totally changes how our offense plays.

Great to say play false 9 for 60 mins, then put a real 9, or vice versa.

Yeah, I'm not saying he was exceptional, he was fine, atleast nothing to complain about.

But the option he provides, and the other midfielders who can play there (KdB, Bernardo) makes our play look more pleasing to me.

I think the attack is more fluid. I guess my comment is less about Mahrez and more about the false 9 option.

We still need a real 9, but it's nice to rotate between the options as it totally changes how our offense plays.

Great to say play false 9 for 60 mins, then put a real 9, or vice versa.
I think he’d be better in a more central role. But then I think we’ve got players who’ll be even better than him there, in that same position.

Unless something weird happens I think he’ll be phased out as the season evolves and he’ll be moved on in the summer. He’s far from shite, he’s lots of ability, we’ve just got players that are already better.

We’ll be better getting a different type of attacker in to take his place given squad number restrictions.

I thought Mahrez was easily our worst performer again. On a night where even those that didn't play particularly well gave 100%, he just sauntered around without a care in the world. 1st half he was a disgrace, 2nd half he improved slightly but that wouldn't have been difficult.

After months of him being picked no matter what, Pep seems to have finally demoted him to squad player status and we are much the better side for it. The club should be doing all it can to sell him in the summer and find a replacement who at least gives a toss.

I thought Mahrez was easily our worst performer again. On a night where even those that didn't play particularly well gave 100%, he just sauntered around without a care in the world. 1st half he was a disgrace, 2nd half he improved slightly but that wouldn't have been difficult.

After months of him being picked no matter what, Pep seems to have finally demoted him to squad player status and we are much the better side for it. The club should be doing all it can to sell him in the summer and find a replacement who at least gives a toss.

Yeah I was pretty amazed when I came to this thread and people were saying he did alright.

He was completely MIA for 90% of the game. Absolutely invisible.

Did nothing going forwards, and did none of the defensive work Foden and Sterling contributed.

I dont think his standing in the squad has ever been lower. If any of Aguero, Torres, Bernardo or Jesus had been fit, he would have been on the bench.

Yeah I was pretty amazed when I came to this thread and people were saying he did alright.

Did nothing going forwards, and did none of the defensive work Foden and Sterling contributed.

I dont think his standing in the squad has ever been lower. If any of Aguero, Torres, Bernardo or Jesus had been fit, he would have been on the bench.
His standing was pretty low in his first season.

Agree 100%. He barely touched the ball in the first half and he knew it, hence the daft greedy attempts at goal just before half time. Maybe noticed one instance in the second half of him dropping deep to link up with midfield, something Jesus for example does all game when he plays.

To be fair I’m glad he was the F9 despite him obviously not being suited to carrying the role out properly, at least it meant we had Foden/Sterling wide stretching their back line which is far more use to us tactically.

But compare Mahrez contribution to our other players who have played as an F9 in the past (KDB at the weekend, Bernardo, even Foden) and it’s obvious how far off the required level he was. Pep wouldn’t have hauled him off otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.