Riyad Mahrez reportedly in line for new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think that’s the case. We would sell him over Jesus or Raz if it was down to us (IMO). He may not want to go and there are no takers as far as I can see, so we’re stuck with him. I just don’t see the rationale for a new contract given his limitations.
We wouldn't offer a new contract if we didn't want to keep him, so we obviously don't see the limitations you do.

We wouldn't offer a new contract if we didn't want to keep him, so we obviously don't see the limitations you do.
I guess that’s what surprises me. Happy to be proved wrong. I don’t think Mahrez has justified his original fee and contract let alone an extension.

If we sell we have to pay off his contract
Eh? Surely not? Otherwise every player who was sold under contract would be getting double-bubble from the selling+buying clubs during the 'overlap' period..?
That said, if they moved for lower wages, not sure how that works..? Maybe we pay the balance?

Last edited:
Mahrez has been excellent the past two seasons but it's a little strange to see us offering a 31 y/o a massive new contract while selling two attackers who are both in their mid-20s. Feels like a massive change of policy from the board.
On the contrary, Mahrez is a talented aging veteran who knows the system and will be more comfortable with a diminishing role as he gets older. Gabby and Sterling are entering or in the middle of their peak years, it makes sense that they are both less amenable to diminishing roles.

And for the record, the policy hasn't changed at all. We sign young talented players from other clubs to compete and possibly beat out guys already on the team. Then we re-sign those who 1) make it and 2) want to stay.

Gabby and Sterling fail element #2.

On the contrary, Mahrez is a talented aging veteran who knows the system and will be more comfortable with a diminishing role as he gets older. Gabby and Sterling are entering or in the middle of their peak years, it makes sense that they are both less amenable to diminishing roles.

And for the record, the policy hasn't changed at all. We sign young talented players from other clubs to compete and possibly beat out guys already on the team. Then we re-sign those who 1) make it and 2) want to stay.

Gabby and Sterling fail element #2.
Mahrez has no pace to lose either.

I guess that’s what surprises me. Happy to be proved wrong. I don’t think Mahrez has justified his original fee and contract let alone an extension.
Disagree with this a lot. He’s played 6,725 minutes of PL football since joining and has a combined 65 G&A (38+27), so a goal or assist every 103 minutes. I suspect his CL record is also very good. On top of this he doesn’t give the ball away a lot which makes him perfect for our system - his output is very high for a player I don’t associate with taking high risks with possession (what I think Grealish struggled with last year to come to terms with).

To find a player like that, who’s also happy to be regularly rotated in and out of the first 11 and kicks up no fuss is exactly what we need in the squad and in my view he’ll continue to add a lot of value to the side for another years if he extends.

Sorry folks but this is crazy if true. I’ve said before that his age, lack of pace, lack of defensive pressure and inability to play anywhere other than right side of a front 3 makes him a luxury signing and not one we need to keep. Don’t see any other teams looking to buy him.
It's all opinions. I agree with some of this. He isn't the best at pressure. He doesn't lack pace. Just doesn't have extra like Sterling. He can play multiple positions even if he is best at RW.

He is an accomplished finisher and producer. Who can start or come in to Change a game. It strange to consider him a luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.