Robin Gosens

Cancelo was a wing back at Inter and Juventus. Also, Angeliño was never given enough of a chance IMO (compared to someone like Mendy or Zinchenko who got numerous chances).

Gosens seems both more physical and defensively sound than Angeliño, and better match intelligence.
He reminds me of a cross between Angeliño and Zabaleta (but as tall as Kolarov). He really is a well rounded player.
His game suits getting forward as a wing back but his skill set makes me believe he could flourish in a back 4.

At the price quoted it does seem like a steal for whoever gets him. No brainer for us, huge upgrade. I'm not convinced he's quite as good technically as Cancelo (who is?) but he's on another level from our other full backs in terms of passing, crossing, ball control, shooting etc.
I agree, don't think he's as good as Cancelo technically and the similarities in play style for me are more in terms of positional space, as in can play wide and inside but not quite like Cancelo.

But physically (perhaps unlike Angelino who I was a fan of) he looks easily capable, and is an option to overload the box as he has shown for Atalanta he is quite a goal threat, just in a slightly different way to Cancelo. Basicaly:

Cancelo: Defends out wide, come inside to be a playmaker

Gosens: Defend out wide, come inside to be a goal scorer

Pep can definitely do wonders with him imo.

No, not really. Zin is a central player that's learned to defend at left back, Gosens is a wide player that's capable of coming infield. He's far more like Cancelo. The one thing the three of them have in common is that they didn't start out as full backs and hence have a broader skillset.
I stand corrected.

Having a stormer of a half for Germany here. Do we see any reasons why he cant be the left back to come in? Is he too much of a wing back perhaps? I see no flaws for what we need

Having a stormer of a half for Germany here. Do we see any reasons why he cant be the left back to come in? Is he too much of a wing back perhaps? I see no flaws for what we need
Basically in your answer, all the things you like are because he is playing wingback for Germany and for Atalanta.

It's the same as someone like Hakimi, has been woeful was a RB, because he likes to attack too much and gets caughtout, but then as a wingback for Dortmund and Inter he looks amazing.

We seem to play with defensive fullbacks and wide wingers, Gosens doesn't fit either role. Although the 343 with wide fullbacks is becoming very popular last few years (Conte and Tuchel off the top of my head last season).

Basically in your answer, all the things you like are because he is playing wingback for Germany and for Atalanta.

It's the same as someone like Hakimi, has been woeful was a RB, because he likes to attack too much and gets caughtout, but then as a wingback for Dortmund and Inter he looks amazing.

We seem to play with defensive fullbacks and wide wingers, Gosens doesn't fit either role. Although the 343 with wide fullbacks is becoming very popular last few years (Conte and Tuchel off the top of my head last season).

"Angeliño Syndrome," as it's also known

Latvia are really dire. He’s played well, but this probably isn’t the best gauge of his ability.

I wasn't totally going off this game to be fair. His Atalanta body of work is handy. The old wing back vs full back seems to be an issue though as above
I’m hoping the Robinson rumours are true. We need a left back that possesses the attributes that Zinchenko doesn’t have. Having a rapid left back opens up Cancelo playing more at right back and giving Walker more rest. It also varies our attack and keeps opposition guessing.

I’m hoping the Robinson rumours are true. We need a left back that possesses the attributes that Zinchenko doesn’t have. Having a rapid left back opens up Cancelo playing more at right back and giving Walker more rest. It also varies our attack and keeps opposition guessing.
Totally agree. We need a LB more in the mold of Walker. Cancelo is a fantastic attacking FB, but if he and Zinch or Mendy play we can be exposed. Robinson can be the defensive FB while Cancelo either inverts or creates in attack on the right. Robinson can do simple overlaps with a left winger like Grealish or Foden and have Kane in the middle waiting to put it into the net.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.