Robinho

There is a fantastic article in the Athletic today about Robinho with lots of contributions from players at the club at the time and even a quote from @Gary James

One bit of Typical City was when the fax was sent to Real Madrid to confirm the transfer it was put through upside down so all Real got was a blank document. The main gist of it was how disruptive Robinho & his mate Elano were. One of the many incidents was when Hughes took the squad to Tenerife for warm weather training & Robinho decided to fly to Brazil for a friends birthday party. The problem was he didn’t tell the management what he was doing and none of his Brazilian clique would say either.

I think you can safely file him under Flawed Genius.

I don't subscribe to The Athletic but do you have a copy of what was said? I gave Danny Taylor lots of info about that day. Cheers.

And if you were there at the Chelsea game in 2008 when he put that free kick past Cech and the stadium exploded you knew we were heading somewhere amazing...he was the first landmark signing although, like Rodney Marsh before him, you never win things with players like Robinho.
They said the same thing about Yaya when he arrived too.

The bottom-line is when you haven't been dining at the top table for a very long time(early 1980s would be my shout on that), the kind of players you end up with are the ones the very top clubs have put in either the "maybe" or the "lets not" column, lets not kid ourselves pretty much all of the early signings came with questionmarks, I remember the drive home from the Spurs game(that ended 0-0 mainly due to Hart)and it was like we had lost 5-0 EVERYONE was claiming "you can't buy class" and none of the new signings would work(Silva and Yaya's debut). Personally you can drive yourself mad trying to figure out of a signing was a success or not. Overall we became the best club in the country for the 2010s so our transfer policy worked even if we had a few mega misses(I would argue that Robinho was much more of a hatchet job by people that wanted to see him fail than someone that didn't perform)

Unquestionably talented, a properly gifted footballer, but he knew it. Could have been a great player at City for a long time but his attitude, work ethic and commitment stunk. That Everton game was embarrassing.

Interesting that Robinho finished top scorer in that first season but isn’t remembered too fondly overall. He was the Sheikh’s signing. A publicity stunt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.