Rodney Marsh

I could never understand the manner of his leaving. He was the captain and an ever present. Then Tony Book booted him out after a particularly woeful performance against Burnley, citing repeated disciplinary problems. But Book hadnt taken the captaincy off of him or dropped him which seemed like logical first and second steps.

Was there more to it?

whicko said:
Trautmannesque said:
whicko said:
Yes sorry about that TC had gone by the time Marsh arrived, if I remember rightly the Rags signed Ian Storey Moore round about the same time, but Marsh did cost us the league in my humble opinion.

You're spot on regarding Ian Storey Moore. The respective transfer fees were similar too (circa 200k)

Moore got off to a good start hence the rags chant, to the tune of Jesus Chris Superstar:

Rodney Marsh, superstar
How many goals have you scored so far?
One or two, three or four?
Not as many as Ian Moore

Sadly for him , he was badly injured soon after and forced into early retirement.
Yes remember that our response was 'Rodney Marsh superstar you can stick your Storey Moore up your f---ing arse!
That was just a bit before my time but it sounds like a great time to be a city fan. Anyone remember "he's fat, he's round, he bounces on the ground, Atkinson! Atkinson!"

He was one of the reasons I became a blue. Funny I always assumed he had a soft spot for us but it's obvious now he can't stand us now. You can tell by the way he talks the Sun or the daily star are his newspapers of choice.

Rod is a WUM but he is pro City. I think he is hypercritical because he thinks he could do better: he always wanted to run City.

My favourite player back in the day.

OB1 said:
Rod is a WUM but he is pro City. I think he is hypercritical because he thinks he could do better: he always wanted to run City.

My favourite player back in the day.

I was a young lad and loved watching him play. He was supremely skilful and a great character. He did slow us down though, never taking one touch when he could take six. Did he cost us the league - yes.

Rodney didn't cost us the league it was him being picked that cost us the league ? Wynn Davies was playing superb at the time playing deep holding the ball up for the other players and he was tough as they come, if Wynn had stayed in the side their is no doubt we would have lifted the title? But Rodney didn't drop Wynn the higharchy did

Trautmannesque said:
whicko said:
Marsh really is a first class dick,he came to City and cost us the title with his slow lazy arse style in the days we were all about pace with Buzzer and TC on the wings, his style of play was more suited to Billy Smarts Circus, even SKY booted the 'City Legend' (my Arse) idiot off, just ignore him and he might go away.

TC left around three years before Rodney arrived!

He didn't cost us the league so much as Allison dropping Wyn Davies and changing our style to accommodate him at a crucial part of the season. He should've been eased in gradually, a fact Marsh concedes readily.

As an earlier poster stated, he split fans right down the middle and I for one had many a Saturday afternoon brightened by his brilliance.

"A touch of the real Rodneys!"

^^^ This.

We also lost the title because of conceding sloppy goals when we had the opposition under the cosh, Stoke at home when Banks had a stormer of a game yet somehow Stoke managed to bag two goals on rare attacks. That was nowt to do with Marsh.

Marsh is a total tool I remember him blanking the City fans at Loftus road a few years ago

I am sure it was the day we played in that one off yellow kit with a p on the back

What ever people say about Marsh and the title he was still good value during his time at City. My first memory of him was from a Lge cup tie at Maine Rd when he was playing for QPR. I can never forget that night because a police horse stood on my foot outside the Kippax before the game. Ouch!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.