Rodney Marsh

The idea that Marsh cost us the title is just one of them myths - City are and were pretty unpredictable so trying to assert that we might ever have a title in the bag (before whistle has blown on last day of the season) is ridiculous.

Sometimes its nice to have a star in your squad (especially with Best playing over the road) and so for me as a young blue - idolising a flair player like Marsh was more important than actually winning stuff; in the early 1970s I actually felt that winning the FA cup was the most important thing anyway...how times have changed.

Marsh brought a smile to my face back then, and he still does to this day.

"Its 6 and your in; I'm going to be Colin Bell, Steve's going to be George Best, who are you going to be?"

"Rodney Marsh"

That's how it was.

Blueside said:
The idea that Marsh cost us the title is just one of them myths - City are and were pretty unpredictable so trying to assert that we might ever have a title in the bag (before whistle has blown on last day of the season) is ridiculous.

Sometimes its nice to have a star in your squad (especially with Best playing over the road) and so for me as a young blue - idolising a flair player like Marsh was more important than actually winning stuff; in the early 1970s I actually felt that winning the FA cup was the most important thing anyway...how times have changed.

"Its 6 and your in; I'm going to be Colin Bell, Steve's going to be George Best, who are you going to be?"

"Rodney Marsh"

That's how it was.
Absolutely Right...!!!!!!!! :)

34fxheb.jpg

Blueside said:

"Rodney Marsh"

That's how it was.
great post.

xgorton said:
I remember his first City v Rags game night match at O T he scored in a 3-1 win.

Came off the bench to score in front of the City fans in the Scoreboard paddock, there's a couple of great pics I came across in a photographic exhibition years ago taken from behind the goal of both the goal and the celebration. Can't find them on the net though.

As stated in earlier posts, it wasn't Rodney who cost us the title, assuming we would have won it anyway, but Alison, putting him straight into the side and changing the "system", a point, as already mentioned, Rodney has stated.
He brightened up a lot of games with his unbelievable skill and ball control, something a lot of players seem to be lacking now a days.
As a pundit he speaks his mind, and yes, he does "put his foot" in it now and again, but rather that than these people who either sit on the fence or just spout the usual "safe" rubbish.

RodneysDribbles10 said:
As stated in earlier posts, it wasn't Rodney who cost us the title, assuming we would have won it anyway, but Alison, putting him straight into the side and changing the "system", a point, as already mentioned, Rodney has stated.
He brightened up a lot of games with his unbelievable skill and ball control, something a lot of players seem to be lacking now a days.
As a pundit he speaks his mind, and yes, he does "put his foot" in it now and again, but rather that than these people who either sit on the fence or just spout the usual "safe" rubbish.

agree with every word.

I remember his first City v Rags game night match at O T he scored in a 3-1 win.

I remember that! I was in the paddock at OT. A luminous goal, cutting across the edge of the box from the right and then just leathering it with his left foot into the corner, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me. To be honest, I think every City fan there thought at that point, this man is going to see us across the finishing line to the title.

I don't have the option of seeing him or listening to him, so my memories of him haven't been clouded at all.
I can still clearly remember jumping over the Platt lane hoarding to drop to my knees and bow down to him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.