Rodney Marsh

Neat third goal at 0.37 from a teasing Colin Bell cross that KDB would proudly own. Remember that game well - we had not scored an away goal in the season to that point and went to Highbury and beat them with a superb first half performance.

The sight of Rodney juggling the ball with 3 united players around him bill foulkes Sadler and another was a dream, I think we won 4/1, he generally just took the piss out of United that day, a dream player who cannot be blamed for us not winning the title, you have to blame management for picking him that season, the dropping of Wynn Davies probably led to that, he was playing a revie plan type roll picking the ball deep, it was working until Rodney joined, plus Brian clough had a big say in that season. AlwAys liked Rodney
Great post with brilliant detail.
It's funny you should mention Wynn Davies.i had sat in a Derbyshire pub yesterday pm to watch the match. The landlord is a big DCFC fan and knows I'm City.he purposely dropped Wynn Davies into a the conversation,and I said he played for City...landlord,who does know his football,and is ex DLF,a real character,said " Did he?..I,'ll have to check that "

Davies was a Geordie I think.dont know much about his career,but interesting you mention he had been playing The Revie Plan centre forward role dropping deep...City must have have played this tactic the most out of any British team in history.
You are the first poster I've seen mention this as part of the Great Rodney debate.
Also intrigued by Oakie coakies post earlier about Tony Towers,and his absence from the team,....when in great form..,after Rodney arrived.
Towers is another player I know virtually nothing about from his time at City.

Great post with brilliant detail.
It's funny you should mention Wynn Davies.i had sat in a Derbyshire pub yesterday pm to watch the match. The landlord is a big DCFC fan and knows I'm City.he purposely dropped Wynn Davies into a the conversation,and I said he played for City...landlord,who does know his football,and is ex DLF,a real character,said " Did he?..I,'ll have to check that "

Davies was a Geordie I think.dont know much about his career,but interesting you mention he had been playing The Revie Plan centre forward role dropping deep...City must have have played this tactic the most out of any British team in history.
You are the first poster I've seen mention this as part of the Great Rodney debate.
Also intrigued by Oakie coakies post earlier about Tony Towers,and his absence from the team,....when in great form..,after Rodney arrived.
Towers is another player I know virtually nothing about from his time at City.

Wyn Davies is Welsh. I never saw him play, but his reputation was based on his strength in the air (he was nicknamed 'Wyn the Leap') and he's usually talked about as an old-style target man.

He started out with Wrexham, then went to Bolton, where he formed a very effective partnership with a certain Francis Lee. Joe and Mal wanted to sign both of them, but they didn't have the cash after buying Colin Bell and Tony Book. We eventually got Franny, but in the meantime Davies had gone to Newcastle instead.

He's most famous for his playing stint on Tyneside but eventually came to us in 1971 and stayed for just over a year until we sold him to the rags. A lot of the old players reckon he added another dimension to us, and credit that as the reason why we challenged for the title in 1971/2 after not going close before then since we'd won it in 1968.

When Rodney Marsh arrived in March 1972, IIRC Davies was left out a couple of times but it was mainly Tony Towers who made way in the title run-in. Eventually, Ron Saunders offloaded Towers to Sunderland in the deal that brought Mick Horswill and Dennis Tueart to Maine Road. While at Sunderland, he was capped by England during Don Revie's time as manager, and he later went to Birmingham City.

I probably saw him play against us for the Mackems and for Brum, but don't have a clear memory of him as a player. However, I remember Marsh on Twitter once saying that he really rated Towers and it was a mistake to let him go. Horswill wasn't a success at City, so in hindsight it's a pity we didn't just do a cash deal and buy Tueart alone.

Wyn Davies is Welsh. I never saw him play, but his reputation was based on his strength in the air (he was nicknamed 'Wyn the Leap') and he's usually talked about as an old-style target man.

He started out with Wrexham, then went to Bolton, where he formed a very effective partnership with a certain Francis Lee. Joe and Mal wanted to sign both of them, but they didn't have the cash after buying Colin Bell and Tony Book. We eventually got Franny, but in the meantime Davies had gone to Newcastle instead.

He's most famous for his playing stint on Tyneside but eventually came to us in 1971 and stayed for just over a year until we sold him to the rags. A lot of the old players reckon he added another dimension to us, and credit that as the reason why we challenged for the title in 1971/2 after not going close before then since we'd won it in 1968.

When Rodney Marsh arrived in March 1972, IIRC Davies was left out a couple of times but it was mainly Tony Towers who made way in the title run-in. Eventually, Ron Saunders offloaded Towers to Sunderland in the deal that brought Mick Horswill and Dennis Tueart to Maine Road. While at Sunderland, he was capped by England during Don Revie's time as manager, and he later went to Birmingham City.

I probably saw him play against us for the Mackems and for Brum, but don't have a clear memory of him as a player. However, I remember Marsh on Twitter once saying that he really rated Towers and it was a mistake to let him go. Horswill wasn't a success at City, so in hindsight it's a pity we didn't just do a cash deal and buy Tueart alone.
That's spooky. In the first half yesterday we had a cross which was crying out for someone at the back post to nod it back into the middle. I said at the time "we could have done with Wyn Davies for that one".

He did a decent job for us although his best days were when (as you said) he was at Newcastle.

I found this clip of Wyn playing for Newcastle vs Sunderland. It kind of speaks for itself. Look out for the familiar face of the Sunderland player in the aftermath of this action.

That's spooky. In the first half yesterday we had a cross which was crying out for someone at the back post to nod it back into the middle. I said at the time "we could have done with Wyn Davies for that one".

He did a decent job for us although his best days were when (as you said) he was at Newcastle.
I remember a game at Bolton in the old 2nd Division 64 I was stood behind goals railway end he got 2 that day we got beat 4-0.

Neat third goal at 0.37 from a teasing Colin Bell cross that KDB would proudly own. Remember that game well - we had not scored an away goal in the season to that point and went to Highbury and beat them with a superb first half performance.

Fantastic goal by Alan Ball,on the half volley.
And an assist for their 2nd goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.