Rodney Marsh

Lovely post. I certainly remember Rodney's nutmeg and mentioned it before. This is one reason why I love Kinkladze so much - of course we were nowhere near a trophy but oh Lord what wonderful, unforgettable moments. The great entertainers.
Fully agree about Lakey. Not sure if you were at the Watford night time league cup game when Machin was in charge with Stewart, Varadi, White etc in late 80's and Lakey just shuffled his hips inside the area, sent about 3 defenders the wrong way for a tap in for Whitey. What a talent Paul Lake was
I missed the Watford cup game ( when we were 2nd div and Watford were a respected top division outfit) but I did catch the home cup tie same season against League cup holders Forest at Maine rd,where again Lake destroyed top league opposition. I remember him repeatedly surging from central midfield with a burst of speed and immaculate ball control which completely ccaught Brian Cloughs Forest off guard..season 87-88.

When Lake was in the mood not many could live with him.

It was a testimony to his superb skills that the only two teams that season who he came up short against were Everton away ,again 87-88 season in the League cup quarter finals when he turned out as a a forward ,.. Everton were league champions and also later that season in the Fa cup quarter finals at Maine rd,when the versatile Lake turned out at centre back ..Liverpool were then,as now,one of the best teams in Europe and the step up in quality of opposition in both games was a learning curve.

Going back to Marsh,some might say he wasn't at City long enough to be a legend,but he prob played more games than Lake or Kinkladze, for City and certainly left his mark on many older posters to this thread,who can remember watching him live.

I take your point,but transposing your logic to say Southampton and Matt le tissier..I don't think there is any argument from any football fan in the world that the player was a legend for the saints,the fact that he didnt win anything is neither here nor there.

Taking a look back thru this thread,the amount of posters who idolized Marsh back in the day..I'd suggest he is legendary status and that winning games/ trophies is notNever necessarily the dominant criteria

My fav City player of all time is Paul Lake..the only thing he won was promotion in 2nd place from the old 2nd division....
Never understand a players desire for trophies for the sake of it if it's not for a team you support. Would only wish to win trophies for City or England, otherwise just do what your paid for to the best of your abilities. Always think Steve Bruce must have been pig sick when he helped the rags deny Newcastle the title , dirty rag mercenary . Or Rooney getting all the money he could ever want playing for Everton his team, living the dream why would he want to go to Old Trafford to win trophies for mancs. Allen Smith left Leeds in pursuit of glory and ended up ruining his career and life. Know doubt these days we attract glory hunting mercenarys to play for us but it's something I don't understand. Hats off to Matt Le Tissier and Steve Bull, our equivelant would be Mike Doyle.

#3 was one of the best goals I had seen to that point, as a big lad who fancied himself as a centre forward myself. Can’t tell you how many times I tried the keepy uppy, turn and shoot with my back to goal!

Also, while we are on the subject, the Peter Barnes dummy & chip over Pat Jennings was one I remember vividly as it was coming right at me in my season ticket seat (Block N, Row 10, seats 1&2 for me and my sister!). I think you can hear Helen ringing her bell during the replay!!

Ah, the good old days!!

And, the good current days are pretty damn good, too!!!

Never understand a players desire for trophies for the sake of it if it's not for a team you support. Would only wish to win trophies for City or England, otherwise just do what your paid for to the best of your abilities. Always think Steve Bruce must have been pig sick when he helped the rags deny Newcastle the title , dirty rag mercenary . Or Rooney getting all the money he could ever want playing for Everton his team, living the dream why would he want to go to Old Trafford to win trophies for mancs. Allen Smith left Leeds in pursuit of glory and ended up ruining his career and life. Know doubt these days we attract glory hunting mercenarys to play for us but it's something I don't understand. Hats off to Matt Le Tissier and Steve Bull, our equivelant would be Mike Doyle.
Always remember a story from a mate of mine , they were working down Southampton on a long contract and went out for a drink on the marina . Le Tissier was there and one of the lads started some playful banter . He came over and had a chat with the lads , one of them said he had no ambition to which he replied “ I’m playing for the club I love on 10 grand a week who needs ambition . With that he left them but not before buying a round of drinks , top bloke

Always remember a story from a mate of mine , they were working down Southampton on a long contract and went out for a drink on the marina . Le Tissier was there and one of the lads started some playful banter . He came over and had a chat with the lads , one of them said he had no ambition to which he replied “ I’m playing for the club I love on 10 grand a week who needs ambition . With that he left them but not before buying a round of drinks , top bloke
I met Le Tissier in the bookies on the day of my sons birth-he signed a betting slip for me

#3 was one of the best goals I had seen to that point, as a big lad who fancied himself as a centre forward myself. Can’t tell you how many times I tried the keepy uppy, turn and shoot with my back to goal!

Also, while we are on the subject, the Peter Barnes dummy & chip over Pat Jennings was one I remember vividly as it was coming right at me in my season ticket seat (Block N, Row 10, seats 1&2 for me and my sister!). I think you can hear Helen ringing her bell during the replay!!

Ah, the good old days!!

And, the good current days are pretty damn good, too!!!

I remember him scoring a goal against Newcastle which is still one of the greatest goals I have ever seen. I have not been able to find it in any archives but from what I remember, Summerbee cross the ball from the right to Rodney who was standing in the semi circle. He brought the ball down, did a couple of feints which put a couple of Newcastle defenders on their backsides and then curved the ball around the keeper.

A photo in the paper the following day showed the Newcastle keeper standing there, mouth wide open and the caption was “I see it but I still don’t believe it” . A real moment of genius.

I also remember him making a fool of Bobby Moncur, who had dissed Rodney in the press. Again, if I remember correctly, Moncur came charging in, intent on taking Rodney out. Rodney calmly put the ball under his foot, slid it out of the way of the challenge, leaving Moncur in his arse. Rodney turned to the Main Stand, pointed at Moncur and did the W..ker gesture. It was priceless.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.