Rodney Marsh

I remember him scoring a goal against Newcastle which is still one of the greatest goals I have ever seen. I have not been able to find it in any archives but from what I remember, Summerbee cross the ball from the right to Rodney who was standing in the semi circle. He brought the ball down, did a couple of feints which put a couple of Newcastle defenders on their backsides and then curved the ball around the keeper.

A photo in the paper the following day showed the Newcastle keeper standing there, mouth wide open and the caption was “I see it but I still don’t believe it” . A real moment of genius.

I also remember him making a fool of Bobby Moncur, who had dissed Rodney in the press. Again, if I remember correctly, Moncur came charging in, intent on taking Rodney out. Rodney calmly put the ball under his foot, slid it out of the way of the challenge, leaving Moncur in his arse. Rodney turned to the Main Stand, pointed at Moncur and did the W..ker gesture. It was priceless.
I remember the goal against Newcastle….it was a midweek game if remember correctly……but can’t recall the Moncur incident.
However I do recall him nutmegging Gordon Taylor against Birmingham and Maine Road all laughing ( think there might have been some bad blood between them )…….probably explains why Taylor very rarely had/has a good word to say about us.

The day Marsh signed I remember thinking we have got our own superstar (or answer to George Best)…..as a kid I didn’t realise we already had a team of understated Superstars.

Still glad we signed him.

I remember him scoring a goal against Newcastle which is still one of the greatest goals I have ever seen. I have not been able to find it in any archives but from what I remember, Summerbee cross the ball from the right to Rodney who was standing in the semi circle. He brought the ball down, did a couple of feints which put a couple of Newcastle defenders on their backsides and then curved the ball around the keeper.

A photo in the paper the following day showed the Newcastle keeper standing there, mouth wide open and the caption was “I see it but I still don’t believe it” . A real moment of genius.

I also remember him making a fool of Bobby Moncur, who had dissed Rodney in the press. Again, if I remember correctly, Moncur came charging in, intent on taking Rodney out. Rodney calmly put the ball under his foot, slid it out of the way of the challenge, leaving Moncur in his arse. Rodney turned to the Main Stand, pointed at Moncur and did the W..ker gesture. It was priceless.
Brilliant! A real character.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.