Rodney Marsh

I felt sorry at the time for Tony Towers who had to make way for Marsh.Towers was having a great season in midfield and for unknown reason Marsh held the ball up too many times which stopped our free flowing football.
Perhaps things could have been different if we hadn`t signed Marsh and we may well have won the League that year.

Was THE favourite player of the Kippax as I remember it.

Playing like an absolute dream, truly world class, won away at Arsenal, tracking back, everything, a few weeks later dropped & transfer listed. Demonstrations outside the ground almost violence. Luckily for City, we had a League Cup run & Peter Barnes as a kid came through & was fantastic (would be on loan at Hull now).

Following season we missed the title by one point, having lost our two best players, Colin Bell through injury, Marsh through god knows what.
Spoke to him outside Maine rd the day he left.He had a lot of affection for the club but said player power had seen him placed on the transfer list.Said he had only one real ally and that was Willie Donachie in a nutshell he wasn't popular amongst some of the other players.

Having been in Rodney's company on many occasions, due to his great friendship with my best pal (he even came to my 50th in Atlanta a couple of years ago - a wee bit of a surprise guest if i many say so :-).. ) he truly loves City and more so us fans, whom he often refers to as the best in the world "After all they have had to put up with over the years"

He truly is a gentlemen and he entertained my wife and i (plus his wife) during my birthday dinner, with some incredible stories from growing up in London, not just footie! He is refreshingly honest as well and doesn't always say things you want to hear, especially about City, but that's one of his great attractions for me, but i have never, ever heard him 'slag us off' although i can understand how some of his honesty can get to some people.

I was also lucky enough to see him play many times and again i have some fond memories of his amazing ability, the like of which we will never see again IMO as footballers are now programmed differently, much to my chagrin.

Fantastic footballer, incredibly nice gentlemen with a lovely wife and family - what's left to be said :-)

I seem to remember a lot of hostility towards the club (mainly aimed at Tony Book and Swales) when he was sold, but that reflects his popularity rather than his ability.
Swales once said he received more letters of complaint about the sale of Marsh than any other issue. But I'm not sure if that was before he appointed Alan Ball.

Franny appointed Alan Ball didn't he?

Don't know what to make of him .
He's probably more of a legend at Queens Park Rangers ,than he ever was at City .
The one thing i do like about him he wasn't happy when ,City lost the league cup final in 1974 .

His debut home to Chelsea was my first ever City game. I loved Rodney just because he was a brilliantly skilful player- I swear I saw him nutmeg Gordon Taylor when Rodney was virtually on OUR goal line. I was probably only 9 or so and might have got it wrong but it was an incredible/iconic moment to me. There are in my view iconic moments that that all can see but also those that are personal to us.
I thought he left because Tony Book wanted us to be better away since the home form was fab and the away for usually mediocre- and Rodney wasn't the sort to run around that much.
I also thought he said City fans were brilliant and who could forget that juggling the ball, turn and goal...." A touch of the real Rodney's"

The sight of Rodney juggling the ball with 3 united players around him bill foulkes Sadler and another was a dream, I think we won 4/1, he generally just took the piss out of United that day, a dream player who cannot be blamed for us not winning the title, you have to blame management for picking him that season, the dropping of Wynn Davies probably led to that, he was playing a revie plan type roll picking the ball deep, it was working until Rodney joined, plus Brian clough had a big say in that season. AlwAys liked Rodney

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.