Rodney Marsh

Rodney must be pleased for the Sunami, now they are minted
EUbYMFlWsAApmsf.jpg

What is the general opinion of him by City fans? is he liked?

To me he is a legend.
Rod has been my favourite player of all time for years. Not saying the best, just the player I most enjoyed watching. Skill level phenomenal. He simply enjoyed playing football! Great pundit too. Forever singing the praises of his pal Bestie but equally entertaining. A little bit of Grealish in him. King Rodney! :o)

As a fan of nearly 40 years, but one who starting following the club a few years after he left, I'd say the following:

He's not a club legend in the accepted sense of the word. He wasn't here long enough and didn't contribute many (any?) iconic moments. He is seen, however, as very much part of the fabric of the club's recent history because there was something very "Typical City" about the way we bought him. A big fee an an attempt to ensure the title, which we were looking like winning, was secured. Also, I think Swales admitted he bought him because he was jealous of Best. And of course we blew the league because we couldn't adapt to having him in the team. Marsh, to his credit, admits this.

I don't think there's any hate amongst city fans for marsh, there's maybe a little affection because he was a flair player, but his name was made at other clubs and that's how he's seen.
"his name was made at other clubs and that's how he's seen." Exactly. As a very young boy, and very impressionable, I saw him at Colchester playing for QPR. He remains my all time hero because of the way he entertained and his personality. :o)

Having been in Rodney's company on many occasions, due to his great friendship with my best pal (he even came to my 50th in Atlanta a couple of years ago - a wee bit of a surprise guest if i many say so :-).. ) he truly loves City and more so us fans, whom he often refers to as the best in the world "After all they have had to put up with over the years"

He truly is a gentlemen and he entertained my wife and i (plus his wife) during my birthday dinner, with some incredible stories from growing up in London, not just footie! He is refreshingly honest as well and doesn't always say things you want to hear, especially about City, but that's one of his great attractions for me, but i have never, ever heard him 'slag us off' although i can understand how some of his honesty can get to some people.

I was also lucky enough to see him play many times and again i have some fond memories of his amazing ability, the like of which we will never see again IMO as footballers are now programmed differently, much to my chagrin.

Fantastic footballer, incredibly nice gentlemen with a lovely wife and family - what's left to be said :-)
Thank you for sharing this. : ) My memory of Rod as a pundit was of a great guy who was never negative towards others. He spoke as he played the game ... with a smile and sense of fun. As you say, a great story teller too. Rodney "Let me entertain you" Marsh.

4 points clear at the top of the table when he signed in March. Ended up finishing 4th. Coincidence? Hmm. Didn’t think we'd be waiting nearly 40 years to scratch that itch. Also; the disrespect he showed Booky doesn't sit well with me.
We finished 4th, but only one point behind the champions IIRC.
He was a great player, but just didn't fit in with the team at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.