Rodney Marsh

That's spooky. In the first half yesterday we had a cross which was crying out for someone at the back post to nod it back into the middle. I said at the time "we could have done with Wyn Davies for that one".

He did a decent job for us although his best days were when (as you said) he was at Newcastle.

Me too !! Some probably wondered who the fuck I was on about !! Showing our age me thinks !!

I take your point,but transposing your logic to say Southampton and Matt le tissier..I don't think there is any argument from any football fan in the world that the player was a legend for the saints,the fact that he didnt win anything is neither here nor there.

Taking a look back thru this thread,the amount of posters who idolized Marsh back in the day..I'd suggest he is legendary status and that winning games/ trophies is not necessarily the dominant criteria

My fav City player of all time is Paul Lake..the only thing he won was promotion in 2nd place from the old 2nd division....
You can, of course, not to attach importance to wins and trophies, but I suppose that with trophies is better than without them :)

Good enough to get on an Oasis LP cover. Brilliant maverick and the type of player you would pay money to see. In an era of terrible pitches and thuggish defenders these were the players that brought joy.
Great Post. I think it captures just what many fans wanted.entertainment, and they would pay good money to see players who could...well entertain.
Earlier in this thread a poster talks about Marsh nut -megging an opponent virtually on his own goal line.....outrageous. superb skill and balls of steel required to do that...

I saw Paul Lake,playing for City..do the same thing on Swindon Towns ground,..City,defending a corner with Lake ,iirc playing centre back,or right back.. suddenly have the ball from the cross drop at his feet..in the 6 yard box.
Big Swindon Centre forward(I think it was Dave Bamber) moved to close our young centre back down....in the blink of an eye Lake put the ball thru Bambers legs,ran past him ..and then launched a scintillating, lightening quick ,counter attack by sprinting down the right wing with the ball at his feet ,out- pacing all opponents before squaring to David White,the only person capable of keeping up with him ,who unfortunately blazed his shot well over the home goal.

Moments like that I don't forget.
Audacious talent,away from home,roared on by the Blue Army
Legend.

Great Post. I think it captures just what many fans wanted.entertainment, and they would pay good money to see players who could...well entertain.
Earlier in this thread a poster talks about Marsh nut -megging an opponent virtually on his own goal line.....outrageous. superb skill and balls of steel required to do that...

I saw Paul Lake,playing for City..do the same thing on Swindon Towns ground,..City,defending a corner with Lake ,iirc playing centre back,or right back.. suddenly have the ball from the cross drop at his feet..in the 6 yard box.
Big Swindon Centre forward(I think it was Dave Bamber) moved to close our young centre back down....in the blink of an eye Lake put the ball thru Bambers legs,ran past him ..and then launched a scintillating, lightening quick ,counter attack by sprinting down the right wing with the ball at his feet ,out- pacing all opponents before squaring to David White,the only person capable of keeping up with him ,who unfortunately blazed his shot well over the home goal.

Moments like that I don't forget.
Audacious talent,away from home,roared on by the Blue Army
Legend.
Lovely post. I certainly remember Rodney's nutmeg and mentioned it before. This is one reason why I love Kinkladze so much - of course we were nowhere near a trophy but oh Lord what wonderful, unforgettable moments. The great entertainers.
Fully agree about Lakey. Not sure if you were at the Watford night time league cup game when Machin was in charge with Stewart, Varadi, White etc in late 80's and Lakey just shuffled his hips inside the area, sent about 3 defenders the wrong way for a tap in for Whitey. What a talent Paul Lake was

I've lost count how many City players I've loved over the years but my three absolute favorite City players without doubt are Colin Bell, David Silva and Sergio Aguero.

Rodney Marsh was what many might call a luxury player. His abilities, at times, were otherworldly. For a big lad, his skills were silky. His flowing hair and smooth movement were of that time and place, and he added some “exotic flair” to a team of Northern grafters made good.

I loved him, although Dennis Tueart become my favorite player, but my older sister had scrapbooks and posters of him.

Was always good for a quote or quip, even when he “retired” to the Tampa Bay Rowdies, which is where I met and played against him. He was player-manager at the time, scored a goal, pulled himself off and said, “That’s me done for the day!” (Or words to that effect!)

Always interested in what he has to say, even if I don’t always agree with it.

What is the general opinion of him by City fans? is he liked?

To me he is a legend.
Moved to Sheffield from Denton just before I started secondary school. Lost count of the number fights I had with other kids if they slagged off Rodney.

One of many City players I thought were wonderful over the years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.