Rodney Marsh

As a fan of nearly 40 years, but one who starting following the club a few years after he left, I'd say the following:

He's not a club legend in the accepted sense of the word. He wasn't here long enough and didn't contribute many (any?) iconic moments. He is seen, however, as very much part of the fabric of the club's recent history because there was something very "Typical City" about the way we bought him. A big fee an an attempt to ensure the title, which we were looking like winning, was secured. Also, I think Swales admitted he bought him because he was jealous of Best. And of course we blew the league because we couldn't adapt to having him in the team. Marsh, to his credit, admits this.

I don't think there's any hate amongst city fans for marsh, there's maybe a little affection because he was a flair player, but his name was made at other clubs and that's how he's seen.

I used to think he was bitter towards us a la Danny Mills but he has praised our performances a lot this season. He also seems to love rubbing the rags noses in it on twitter when they lose which promotes him to legendary status in my book.

I don't think he has any real love for the club but he is happy to jump on the bandwagon. You can tell who the real club legends are by the way they stuck up for us through thick and thin. Marsh seems to court controversy, and if that means supporting us and bigging us up, he's happy to do it. If it means slagging us off to get a few minutes in the spotlight, then he's up for that too.
Incredibly talented player, but I don't think he ever understood us, or became one of us. Not in the same way someone like Buzzer or Goater has.

I liked him for his football. He is one of the most gifted players I have seen playing for us, and he was, as I recall, well liked by the fans, but I wouldn't call him a legend.

It was difficult to understand why at the time, but he put himself on the transfer list and wanted out. He took himself off the list at the end of that season, whichever season it was, and although he stayed around for a while afterwards, it tainted him.

He was a wonderful player to watch, but I can't think of him in the same light as other players from that era simply because he didn't really want to be with us.

Doyle, Buzzer, Lee, Oaks, Bell and the others enjoyed their time at Maine Road. I don't think Marsh did.

I liked Rodney. But it was a brave decision by Tony Book to sell him. My final memory of him was scoring the winner during a night match I think against Stoke a Maine Road, a 1-0 win. Again I think it was 1975/76 season and when he left we never looked back. League cup winners that season and league runners up the following season. As has been said I don't think Rodney can be relied upon to back City in the same way we know Utd pundits back their former club.

I seem to remember a lot of hostility towards the club (mainly aimed at Tony Book and Swales) when he was sold, but that reflects his popularity rather than his ability.
Swales once said he received more letters of complaint about the sale of Marsh than any other issue. But I'm not sure if that was before he appointed Alan Ball.

I've just looked it up and I'm really surprised to see that MArsh was with us for four years, not an insignificant period of time. I'd have guessed a season or two. It's actually a bit of a surprise that he isn't seen as more of a "legend" given that, but I guess some of the posts above shed some light on that. It was also a period of chronic underachievement and unfulfilled hope for the club I suppose.

I seem to remember a lot of hostility towards the club (mainly aimed at Tony Book and Swales) when he was sold, but that reflects his popularity rather than his ability.
Swales once said he received more letters of complaint about the sale of Marsh than any other issue. But I'm not sure if that was before he appointed Alan Ball.

As with many City decisions at the time, it wasnt explained very well. Tony Book said that he was released because of persistent disciplinary problems. But at the time he was the captain and an automatic pick. It seemed like we skipped all of the intermediary disciplinary stages such as stripping him of the captaincy and then dropping him.

Was THE favourite player of the Kippax as I remember it.

Playing like an absolute dream, truly world class, won away at Arsenal, tracking back, everything, a few weeks later dropped & transfer listed. Demonstrations outside the ground almost violence. Luckily for City, we had a League Cup run & Peter Barnes as a kid came through & was fantastic (would be on loan at Hull now).

Following season we missed the title by one point, having lost our two best players, Colin Bell through injury, Marsh through god knows what.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.