#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he was brilliant today. One silly give away late on but bossed the midfield most of the game.
"Who said.....Rodri couldn't play,,Rodri couldnt play ,Rodri couldnt play
Whooooo said Rodri couldnt play ;...Rodri couldnt play Football "

To the tune of City couldnt play.

Tremendous last night, he is of course a different player to Fernandinho so you cant really compare like for like. Rodri is an intelligent footballer, he is an interceptor and stealer of the ball rather than a tackler like Ferna. he is tactically astute and last night his intelligence allowed Cancelo and Zincho licence to not only forward, but to play wider. That allows Stones and Ruben to play further apart as Rodri can drop in and form a back three if necessary.

Rodri uses the ball well, his passing range is good and I thought he had a really good game last night, especially when they occasionally threatened as he was quick to block avenues and aware of what was around him.

He reminds me of Gaz Baz, a player who the players appreciate far more than the fans.

Tremendous last night, he is of course a different player to Fernandinho so you cant really compare like for like. Rodri is an intelligent footballer, he is an interceptor and stealer of the ball rather than a tackler like Ferna. he is tactically astute and last night his intelligence allowed Cancelo and Zincho licence to not only forward, but to play wider. That allows Stones and Ruben to play further apart as Rodri can drop in and form a back three if necessary.

Rodri uses the ball well, his passing range is good and I thought he had a really good game last night, especially when they occasionally threatened as he was quick to block avenues and aware of what was around him.

He reminds me of Gaz Baz, a player who the players appreciate far more than the fans.
Rodri doesn't remind me of Gaz Baz. He was a far better player.

I don’t think Fernandinho had ever played in defensive mid when he signed for us. Had solely been an attacking mid from junior football to Shakhtar. Was even in the CL team of the season as a #10 the year before we signed him.
Yep. Dinho played attacking midfield in earlier parts, gradually converted slightly deeper into a more box-to-box midfielder. And that was where we signed him for in the first place. Until Pep came and pushed Dinho even deeper into our anchor.

Fantastic how adaptable Dinho is.

Totally agree with the Gareth Barry comparison. Rodri is excellent in that role but will never be a box to box player like peak Fern. He has looked much better in recent months, not least because Gundo has really stepped up in a more attacking role.

I'm sure on my stream last night they said Zinch had most touches, and Rodri covered the most ground - over 12km. Surprised me

different to Fernandinho who does not have to recover because he reads the game better intercepts better,

Interceptions are ball recoveries.

IMO the big difference between Rodri and Fernandinho is that Rodri sits deeper defends going forward towards the opposition/ball, and Fernandinho starts higher and usually defends running sideways or towards our goal.

Both are effective and have downsides. Rodri cuts out a lot of attacks before they happen, but if he does get bypassed he's caught upfield and out of the move. Fern is a good defender but picks up a lot more yellows making challenges when an opposition attack has already developed, however he also has more time to act and doesn't take himself out of the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.