#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Rodri started the season off great. Was probably our best player in the first half of the season with Foden, but the guy absoutely hit a physical or mental wall. He started turning the ball over for fun.. Just off the top of my head he had bad ones vs Gladbach, Chelsea(leading to their goal), Dortmund, etc..
Neither Rodri nor Foden had good first halves of the season.

Rodri struggled up to Christmas. He was much better in our winning run but he wasn’t good in the first half of the season, he was one of the players I was most disappointed with.

Foden had a poor start to the season. He was bobbins against Leicester Leeds Porto WestBrom… he was in and out of the side, couldn’t get a rhythm going. He then became a different player from Christmas onwards.

Gundogan was our best player in the first half of the season.

Rodri wasn’t picked last night because he’s too slow.

Was arguably our best player the last time we beat Chelsea. Most touches, passes and tackles of anyone in our team in that 3-1 win earlier in the season
If you watch back that game away against Chelsea he had a shocking first twenty minutes. Chelsea were up for it early doors and were pressing him in numbers, he was getting dispossessed easily and he actually set up Chelsea’s two best chances in the game by shitting himself turning round and passing it to them. If we’d gone behind in that game, he was the prime candidate for why it would have happened.

When we went 0-2 up he was brilliant. Chelsea’s heads’ dropped and they stopped pressing him. He’s the ideal player when we need to slow the game down when he’s not being pressed, he’s not then man we need from the outset of games (there have been multiple games for us where the opposition are energetic and pressing early doors and Rodri looks crap!) or when we’re chasing games.

Rodri wasn’t selected last night because of those reasons, and his lack of pace against the fastest midfielder around (although the selection of Gundo in that position is also baffling because he’s slow n’all).

He seemingly has a bit of work to do to convince Pep that he can be trusted. His performances and errors against Brighton and Chelsea in the league sealed his fate and he now needs to use this as a wake up call because he has missed potentially the biggest game of his life through his own poor performances leading up to it.

The jury is still out for me on him. I think he is too slow and you can’t coach that.

Players lose form sometimes. If the CL final was in February, both Rodri and Cancelo would have started the game.

The problem for us was that Rodri and Cancelo weren't the only players whose form dropoed from the heights of January and February. The same holds for most of our players: Dias (after PSG, but also already at Wembley vs Chelsea), Gundogan, Bernardo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.