#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
and KDB, bernardo, sterling, mahrez all there! Foden does a ton of defensive work too! Everyone is pulling their shift except for this guy who casually strolls.

You’re delusional if you think our pressing game is anything like it was in 17/18 & 18/19. Foden was an absolute passenger on Sunday & the press from him, Sterling & Mahrez was beaten time and time again throughout.

If our success is reliant on a lone 6 snuffing out counter attacks 1v1 all game then we have no chance. That wasn’t the case in any of our successful seasons under Pep as we utilised inverted fullbacks to protect the centre. So as I said, the number 6 and the CBs are being left completely exposed by our full backs both being too high concurrently, and the complete ineffectiveness of the high press.

lost all (little) defensive stability we had when ferna came off. Rodri does not work as a lone DM. Needs someone energetic and mobile alongside of him to flourish. He used to play alongside another DM as a two at Atletico iirc

He's a very good player but unfortunately not able to fill the same role in the squad as Fernandinho. He just can't - at least at this point in his career - effectively be the only holding mid the way we set up. Not sure what the solution is other then a tactical change but it's obvious at this point, and I've been a big Rodri defender.

I think we also need to remember that Rodri's only 24, that is quite young for that position. He seems a very laid back sort of player (both in his game and life), and I've always thought Fernandhino was quite laid back, but he has a ruthless streak in football that is quite unique. They're not the same player, but I feel confident that Rodri will grow into it eventually.

It was interesting that Vardy said yesterday that he'd basically been asked to man mark Rodri early in the game to nullify him, and it was apparant, I wonder if that has ever happened to Rodri before, being man marked by a centre forward ? Hopefully a lesson he'll learn from.
I didn't know Vardy was man-marking him, maybe Rodgers sees something with him that I don't or maybe Vardy was going to mark the non-KDB midfielder, whoever that may have been. Pep has clearly told him to shoot more so maybe he'll start taking more forward liberties with the ball in general.

At this point I'm inclined to think it's more mental than physical going forward, and more physical than mental in defense. This makes me think defensively it may not come together for him magically this year.

I certainly didn't expect him to be the replacement for Fernandinho. Its basically impossible to replace Fernandinho. I can't believe that Pep thought he could, I watched him a few times for Atletico and we have got exactly what he showed in Spain.

Is there a fundamental problem with our scouting, do they believe that Rodri is going to gain 10yards of speed in the next year or is it poor management from Pep by leaving him out to dry in this current setup. I am not sure.

He may still come good, it’s only been one (really weird) season but that fee and that player was for a single 6 playing under a pair of 8s, with one capable of dropping back to help rarely. That was the system. This is the standard he ought to be measured against after, say, this season. He isn’t there yet in attack or defense think that’s beyond dispute.

For now, he may need more support and Pep recognizes that by sticking Fernandinho in there with him.

But part of why our midfield is defensive and isolated and we have trouble breaking down lower blocks is on Rodri not being good enough to stand on his own.

That can be partially on him, partially on Pep, but I struggle to blame scouting since they don’t typically sign someone without the manager’s sign-off in most clubs.

We need to be asking why we have scouted Rodri who had eneregtic midfielders next to him at Atletico to sign him and have him partnered with equally slow midfielders

We need to be asking why we have scouted Rodri who had eneregtic midfielders next to him at Atletico to sign him and have him partnered with equally slow midfielders

Genuinely Rodri has to be the most baffling signing we've made under Pep. What was the reasoning behind getting him? How could our scouts not see that a slow, immobile CDM cannot be the single pivot in this system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.