Rodri - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no, I repeat, no worries about Rodri. He's young and intelligent enough to learn from a year playing in the PL. The most important parts of his game are top drawer, it's only understanding the pace of the PL and where to position himself that's missing. Next year he will have a monster year.

He’s just too slow. Commits a lot of fouls when teams attack because he hasn’t got the pace to keep up.

It will do with him having nobody behind him. I dont remember too many 35 year old centre backs excelling in the Prem, never mind a 35 year old who is a midfielder. I would hazard a guess that he is still faster than Rodri and Gundogan and would be currently better than either of them in the CDM position.
Most professional footballers are faster than Rod or Gundogan.

Surely people know by now not to judge Pep signings on their first season? Especially when it comes to a position that's so highly influenced by what you can and can't get away with in terms of refereeing.... he deserves a season to learn. I'm sure having a full-on clown fiesta behind him all season hasn't helped him either (I'm aware it's a two-way street, but he did actually start the season well, only to get worse as the defensive issues mounted).

Chelsea fans hated Jorginho last season for pretty much the exact same reasons that are used by our fans to criticise Rodri, and now they love him and think he's one of their best players...

Last edited:
The range of quality in his performances is the largest I've seen in our team I think. It could easily go either way for him long term but he's got time yet

To slightly change the topic but still be about Rodri, I really would like to see Pep experiment with the 3-4-3/3-5-2 he used earlier in the season.
Rodri looked great in that RCB/DM position those formations allow, and our pressing lately is non-existent, but looked great when we pressed with a narrow front 3 in 3-4-3.

Rodri is slow, but what has to be remembered when Dinho played that position he usually had Delph or Zinchenko tucked in next to him which we had more cover on counter attacks in the midfield. Mendy is usually always out wide.

My only small problem with Rodri is that he needs to be more creative. In the League Cup final against Villa he played a nice chipped ball over to Foden on the right who headed it to Aguero to score. He needs to do that more often.

Ferns replacement should of been a similar type of dm, one with energy and pace. I think the diffrence between this year and the previous two years is energy, runners. The last two seasons which see the team accumulate 100 points each, the team was full of runners.

This season he's played often with the likes of Rodri, Gundo in the midfield. Two of these don't have the energy or the legs, and I feel its massive to what made this team successful.

Add in to this the lack of fight from regular starters like Marhez and you have a massive part of why the team this year fell way short of winning the title.

Rodri is slow, but what has to be remembered when Dinho played that position he usually had Delph or Zinchenko tucked in next to him which we had more cover on counter attacks in the midfield. Mendy is usually always out wide.

My only small problem with Rodri is that he needs to be more creative. In the League Cup final against Villa he played a nice chipped ball over to Foden on the right who headed it to Aguero to score. He needs to do that more often.

I agree the fullbacks no longer tooking in more or at least being behind our wide players when we are attacking has made us much more vulnerable to counters. It’s a problem and it’s not like they provide many assists anyway. The main reason it happens now though is because we end up needing to stretch the pitch when teams have everyone behind the ball. The inverted wingers means they come so narrow and as the left winger hardly ever takes his man on especially on the outside the fullback needs to push up more than previously. Really hope we bring a left footed attacker in once Sané leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.