Rodri - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before, but he's been unlucky as fuck that his first season has involved such a mess of a defence behind him + lethargic midfield counterparts in David/Gundo. It's difficult enough as it is to adapt to a new league and find your feet in a Pep team after playing for Simeone. Next season with a more stable backline and Bernardo/Foden playing next to him more often he will improve sinificantly.

I've said it before, but he's been unlucky as fuck that his first season has involved such a mess of a defence behind him + lethargic midfield counterparts in David/Gundo. It's difficult enough as it is to adapt to a new league and find your feet in a Pep team after playing for Simeone. Next season with a more stable backline and Bernardo/Foden playing next to him more often he will improve sinificantly.
It's always worth remembering that we won 14 games in a row and conceded 4 goals with mainly Gundogan in the DM spot. The team was as determined as it ever would be and when everyone is up for it everyone looks good. This season we've had too many games where we've become too spaced apart and unfortunately everyone looks worse as a result (except Ederson because he gets to show off his shotstopping).

If we had the team we had in the back half of the 18/19 season or the first half of the 17/18 season but with Rodri in it, we would have been even more ridiculous.

He is one of our best at holding the ball and I am fairly sure he is often under instruction to hold it a bit longer to allow opposition players on him and create space for ours, especially as we find ourselves playing against 10 men in the box.

Watch him when he holds it up and see how often two or three players go to press, he turns facing away from the opposition goal, Rodri then plays it backward to a teammate facing goal as the opposition touch his back, and that teammate immediately passes to a player now occupying a large swath of space vacated by the the players pressing Rodri.

It’s chess, mate, and he’s our rook.

I’ve watched him like I said he had good game and he is a very good player and yep all players have faults but that is just one Minor negative point about him.

I think he’s had an excellent season, given it’s his first one in England and he’s only 24.

will look even better when he has a stable back 4 behind him and not a revolving door of defenders.

Has improved in that he no longer gets drawn too far upfield from the central defenders, but that is an understanding that will have to be redeveloped if we do indeed sign Ake and Koulibaly.

One area that he needs to improve, especially when playing without Gundogan, is getting the ball forward more quickly. His instinct is square or back, which of course are safe options and retain possession, but there are times when he doesn’t quite appreciate the bigger picture, when we have 5 ahead of him against 5 defenders, and that is when he needs to spring the trap and make the forward pass that will allow de Bruyne and Bernardo to drive at the opponent.

Fabinho who unfortunately I rate would have had very similar comments from Liverpool fans after his first season to this. They could see potential but not fully happened.

This will be the case with Rodri and I think end of next season we will be in no doubt of his quality.

Hopefully Cancelo will be the same as if these 2 make the steps up needed, plus some good recruitment this year and we will be a different proposition.

I have my doubts on Cancelo but Rodri I am confident in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.