Roger Daltrey: Rolling Stones a Mediocre Pub Band

The kinks influenced the beatles tbf and some of what is considered groundbreaking by the beatles had already been done by other british bands at the time like the kinks.

McCartney never made it a secret that he would listen to other UK bands at the time and sometimes call them asking how they produced a riff or a sound and then mix it in with his own style.

Sitars were one example, the kinks see my friends had been played using an effect recreating a tambura, which McCartney and Harrison were impressed with, four months later Norwegian wood arrived and is cited as the first western song to use a sitar, McCartney has said in interviews See my Friends was one of the best non beatles songs he heard in that time, also helter skelter was heavily influenced by the who's sound at the time.

British music fed off each other, but when asked whose sound was the building blocks for punk, prog rock, glam etc it will be the likes of the kinks not the beatles or stones mentioned.

Big fan of the beatles (bar lennon the tosser) but think the kinks were more interesting and lyrically masterful
This view is very Anglocentric which is why I disagree with it. First, if you think Lennon is a tosser, how can you not think Ray Davies is — especially in his later years?

And it annoys me that we play these “who influenced who” games with the Kinks, who are an effective irrelevancy in the US vs. the UK. Like The Jam, The Kinks were thoroughly English and limited in their appeal abroad whereas The Beatles were far more universal in theirs. This matters when gauging impact.

Almost all of the most important influences on punk originally were American, not English — MC5, Iggy, the entire CBGB crowd — and the Kinks are a minor influence to the actual formation of the genre. Even the guys from Wire cite The Beatles as key, not The Kinks.

Again, personal taste is personal taste which is fine and I very much like The Kinks but any argument that between the two the Kinks were more important or influential or the forebears of what the Beatles did — and became, which is as if not more important — is tenuous.

This view is very Anglocentric which is why I disagree with it. First, if you think Lennon is a tosser, how can you not think Ray Davies is — especially in his later years?

And it annoys me that we play these “who influenced who” games with the Kinks, who are an effective irrelevancy in the US vs. the UK. Like The Jam, The Kinks were thoroughly English and limited in their appeal abroad whereas The Beatles were far more universal in theirs. This matters when gauging impact.

Almost all of the most important influences on punk originally were American, not English — MC5, Iggy, the entire CBGB crowd — and the Kinks are a minor influence to the actual formation of the genre. Even the guys from Wire cite The Beatles as key, not The Kinks.

Again, personal taste is personal taste which is fine and I very much like The Kinks but any argument that between the two the Kinks were more important or influential or the forebears of what the Beatles did — and became, which is as if not more important — is tenuous.
Correct apart from the criminal omission of the New York Dolls

Great band the Kinks. Not in the same league as the Beatles though, in fact arguably not even playing the same sport
Your right of course but no point arguing with him.

Love them or hate them, The Beatles were a phenomenon, 30 No 1s, every album No 1 all over the world.
A band with 4 singers, sold over 1 billion records, approximately 30 thousand cover versions of their songs by nearly all of the worlds top artists.
Even if you hate them you can't argue against facts.

Brian Wilson was a massive influence on the Beatles and vice versa.

I’m on your side here with the backing of the Beatles, nobody else got near them but the Kinks got a 4 year ban from the States for a row with a popular TV company, it’s producer started it by making anti-Anglo comments because they were late and Davies told him to shove the TV appearance up his arse.

After the ban they decided they’d make very English music and their sound significantly changed to one the American TV audience just wouldn’t like. Songs like the Village Green Appreciation Society were never going to be a hit in the US and it was done on purpose, to corner their own market over here. The English of course loved it but it stopped them being a global influence.

The Beatles were too big to cancel, even after Lennon’s remarks about Jesus, the demand to see them was too great. In the end (pun intended) the only people who could cancel the Beatles were the Beatles.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.