Roger Hunt - rest in peace

Think it was said that with the 1966 options it was always which one of Greaves or Hurst was going to play alongside Roger Hunt. RIP Sir, great player and goalscorer
Budgie Byrne of West Ham would also have been a candidate to play up front, but had a season, I think, pockmarked by constant injury. He also wasn’t well liked by the establishment.

Sad to hear of Roger Hunt’s passing away.

all he had to do was nod geoff hursts contraversial goal in and there'd be no arguments. but he knew it had crossed the line so turned away celebrating.
rest in peace sir roger..youve earned it.

He had an outstanding strike rate. Comfortably better than a goal every two games. Not at all shabby, specially when you consider the ploughed fields those lads plied their trade on, week in, week out. And, by all accounts, a decent fella as well.

The ticket tout is still about...just!
In addition to the three mentioned, four others from the squad - Ron Flowers, Terry Paine, Ian Callaghan and George Eastham - are still living.

16 members of the West Germany squad are also still alive.

This, according to Wikipedia.

I was only three so can't remember the world cup but knew who Roger Hunt was a couple of years later. Football seemed less tribal in my childhood so this bloke was a hero even though he didn't play for City. I tend to feel like that again every time we lose another one. Never heard a bad word said about him to be honest. RIP Sir

Roger was an utter class act… in the 80s I grew up in the same village he lived and through business he was acquainted with my stepfather. One evening he was at a dinner party at our house (I was around 10 years old at the time) and i asked him if he’d be up for a game at the local school pitches (he agreed), so the next Sunday morning, me and a few mates went to his house and see if he was up for a game… no answer to his doorbell, so we threw some gravel at his window, sure enough the curtains twitched, he opened his window and with bleary eyes he told us he’d be down in 30 mins.

We went playing, convinced he’d fobbed us off and sure enough 30 mins later he jogged up to the pitches and then gave us 60 mins of playing 60’s, headers and volleys and of course ‘world cup’ with one of englands finest - me and my four mates were in awe.

After an hour we all sat around asking him questions. I asked him about Geoff Hursts fourth goal - was it really over the line? His answer was simple - “watch my reaction, I was the closet person to the ball, I’m goal scorer and my first reaction was to turn and celebrate’… everytime I see ‘that’ goal I think of Roger and a great Sunday morning playing football with my mates and a World Cup winner - stuff of dreams

RIP Roger

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.