Roughest / Most unwelcoming cities in the UK

My own city of Glasgow is a great place to visit and people are welcome and made to feel so. Are there places I wouldn’t go with a battalion of commandos? Absolutely, but in the main it’s s great place to go to.

The rule is don’t act like you’re a hardman shouting the odds. You will bump into someone much harder. Like any city. Although we do have more than our quota of Fucking maniacs.

I also find small towns to be worse. It seems as though they think they need to be crazier because they come for a no mark place.

My own city of Glasgow is a great place to visit and people are welcome and made to feel so. Are there places I wouldn’t go with a battalion of commandos? Absolutely, but in the main it’s s great place to go to.

The rule is don’t act like you’re a hardman shouting the odds. You will bump into someone much harder. Like any city. Although we do have more than our quota of Fucking maniacs.

I also find small towns to be worse. It seems as though they think they need to be crazier because they come for a no mark place.
Not so much these days but back in the olden days the proper organised crime groups from cities would have a grip of dick heads acting too much like dick heads, causing trouble. The QSG would have you thrown in the boot of a car and taken to a scrap yard to have your legs broken if you overstepped the mark.

That’s why you see a load of young dick heads running wild if the Mr Bigs get gaoled for any length of time.

Smaller towns don’t have proper organised crime groups. So you have loads of weasels running about unchecked.

You’d be surprised how much of a hold proper gangsters have on cities and the culture. Especially decades ago.

These days the gangs are more to do with recruiting vulnerable young people who come from shit homes and have shit lives. There’s more of a “don’t give a shit” attitude from these kind of people. They’re not proper gangsters anymore and will be less inclined to look after or police the culture of a city like gangs used to.

It changed in the 1990s in Manchester. With teenagers being dealers and having guns. It never used to be that way.

But in smaller towns there’s never been that fear of getting a good hiding from the proper lads if you go round acting the big man. That’s why a night out in a smaller town can be like the Wild West!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only places I have experienced that feeling of instant malevolence and danger when walking into a pub are :

Plymouth
Rugby
Winchester

Places where the regulars have been notably welcoming include:

Glasgow
Cardiff

My family are from Glasgow ...love the place. Partick is good and my cousin lives in the flats in Cowcaddens.

This is the problem, folk giving it the big un when they’ve been drinking, not realising they’re a long way from home.
I’ve been all over the world and have never had grief anywhere because I know how to behave myself.

This is the problem, folk giving it the big un when they’ve been drinking, not realising they’re a long way from home.
I’ve been all over the world and have never had grief anywhere because I know how to behave myself.

Exactly. Just be an alright guy and you will seldom get grief.

Cambridge.

Be there for the Midsummer Common Fair. Can be few places in the UK which change so drastically within the space of a day.

The first time I stayed in Glasgow was when it was the City of Culture, in a B&B off the Byres Road. Because of it's status, I'm told that a Glasgow Kiss was accompanied by the words "Stitch that, James"! ;-) Some good pubs round there, though.
I worked up there many times over the years, latterly in the Ibis, Novotel, etc cluster near the Police HQ. Never saw or got into any trouble, and the locals were always very friendly and helpful. I've not had occasion to go up there since I retired, but have fond memories of the city.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.