Roughest / Most unwelcoming cities in the UK

Dunbar in East Lothian had more psychos per square metre when I was young than any other part of the UK I have travelled in/lived in. Fisher folk and other assorted nutters. Friday night at the Victoria Ballroom was not for the faint hearted. For kicks and giggles folk used to be thrown into the harbour which was no more than 5 metres from the 'palace of dance' (no cognisance was taken of tide tables before aforesaid throwing, E Lothians very own version of Russian Roulette). Some of the more progressive youngsters were obviously vying for a career in dentistry given the number of extractions performed by banging faces against porcelain in the 'conveniences'. Prestonpans and Tranent were only slightly more civilised. I understand through legend that parts of Fife were even rougher. I shall allow @Magicpole to recount his experiences of the West of Scotland although I do have a little experience of Port Glasgow (shiver).

The mentality of the average Brit is worlds apart from those on the continent. We have a real island mentality. Our 'banter' is focussed on cock measuring and insulting our 'friends'. Our countries history is tales of fighting off invading forces, civil war, colonising a quarter of the worlds population. There's a reason most countries dislike Great Britain and I believe it's a result of our culture.

If you've ever read Anthony Middleton's book, he talks about the culture difference between the British army and their French alternative. The Brits were focussed on 'banter'; who can drink the most, who can beat up the biggest man in the pub etc. The French all sat round with a beer and sang songs together.
My late wife's mum was from Hereford, and we used to go down there a lot. One of her uncles used to go in the armed forces club and invited me along. Being Sunday lunchtime, it was quite busy with a few noisy ones. Her uncle told me to ignore them -most of them weren't even in the military. There were a few sitting round playing cards and having a quiet pint, and he said that they were based just down the road at a place called Stirling Lines. Nobody bothered them because they were in the SAS!

My late wife's mum was from Hereford, and we used to go down there a lot. One of her uncles used to go in the armed forces club and invited me along. Being Sunday lunchtime, it was quite busy with a few noisy ones. Her uncle told me to ignore them -most of them weren't even in the military. There were a few sitting round playing cards and having a quiet pint, and he said that they were based just down the road at a place called Stirling Lines. Nobody bothered them because they were in the SAS!
Sipping Ale Silently??

hastings is a horrible place generally. parts of the old town are okay but st leonards is rough.

Sterling Lines is special SAS. SRR. Her majesty's burglars.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.