Rumoured new Manchester Arena

There is going to be an arena built which is in a different league to our current arena in town. It will be just past the Bank of England pub on the left hand side going towards the stadium.

27,000 capacity.
Any word on the North Stand extension?

It’s bit of a strange one this. Curve ball. Not doubting Worsley for 1 second, as he’s 99% spot on most of the time. But the council have always supported the Arena and it’s various owners. They absolutely appreciate it’s worth to Manchester and the city centre in general. To support a bigger rival arena 3 miles away in East Manchester is a pretty big u-turn. The arena is pivitol to the city centre, as much as the dreadful Arndale Centre is, due to the money it brings into the city centre.

On the flip-side, can Manchester sustain 2 large arena’s? Are there enough events? Is there enough demand? It’s fair to say the Etihad has cornered the stadium concert market over both Old Trafford’s. But a 50,000 concert capacity isn’t being replicated in this new arena. In-fact, the capacity is only 6000 more than the current arena.

Like everyone else, I waiting with interest to see what this new arena looks like, and what it will be used for, bar concerts and sporting events. I’d have thought a large conference centre to rival the NEC or 1 of the numerous London conference centre’s might be more appropriate?

Looking forward to the council Exec minutes. Will post them as soon as they are up.
Nice one.

Yeah be interesting to see what the thinking is

There is now an emotional and symbolic connection to the Manchester Arena, which I highly doubt would ever see it done away with.
I think we can sustain two arenas, we can have gigs and boxing going on in the city on the same night.

But if the MEN is going to be a long term venue it needs updating on the outside.

Can the roads cope round there with gigs and events probablly 5 days out of 7.

Occasional matchdays are fine, but every night? Might need to think about that before hand.

Last edited:
Can the roads cope roumd there with gigs and events probablly 5 days out of 7.

Occasional matchdays are fine, but every night? Might need to think about that before hand.
Yet another reason to convert that freight line to passenger use and build a station that would be ideal for access to the new arena, as well as the Etihad.

Can the roads cope roumd there with gigs and events probablly 5 days out of 7.

I live on Pollard Street and can categorically say no.

Even on matchdays the trams are carnage, the roads unusable for a good 30 minues after a game. If this was going on most days then the council will need to make some serious changes to the access to that part of town.

Midweek, if there is a game on, even getting home from work is a chore. Don't fancy that bullshit 4 nights out of 5.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.