Running thread

Thanks mate. I was thinking 5:30 to 5:45 so will stick to that and see how I get on. I'm not sure I'll be able to slow it down quite so much to begin with but I'm sure my legs will appreciate it the further I get into the 16 week plan.

Cracking time for your best marathon by the way!
I think the paramount aspect of the long run is distance and time on your feet. Getting close to actual time it would take in the marathon is an aim of the longest run. Pace is less important. You could try speeding up for last few miles of the long run. Stuuuuuu would offer better advice on this.

I've just had a look at goandrace.com because I'm putting together my marathon training plan for December. I did my one and only marathon two years ago without much of a plan and might as well have crawled the last 12km (finished in 4 hours 14 minutes). I'm wanting to prepare properly this time round and thinking 3h30 - 3h45.

Looking at the plan it gives, the slow runs are showing as 5:05/km and long runs 5:15/km. That seems pretty fast considering my target time would be 5:00/km.

@Stuuuuuu and @gaz76, any advice you can give for the longer/slower days? My HM pb is 1h38.

Cheers
I guess it is all set from what your race pace needs to be to finish in the time you want. I’ve found the distances, times and variety hard but on the other hand feel fitter and stronger and probably most importantly mentally prepared. I’m past 50 now and still try and run like I was 25, I have to put the effort, miles and have a plan otherwise I worry I’ll just plateau with my fitness but like gaz76 i struggle most with a slow run and just end up going for it. Not sure that helps and maybe it’s too structured for you.

I've just had a look at goandrace.com because I'm putting together my marathon training plan for December. I did my one and only marathon two years ago without much of a plan and might as well have crawled the last 12km (finished in 4 hours 14 minutes). I'm wanting to prepare properly this time round and thinking 3h30 - 3h45.

Looking at the plan it gives, the slow runs are showing as 5:05/km and long runs 5:15/km. That seems pretty fast considering my target time would be 5:00/km.

@Stuuuuuu and @gaz76, any advice you can give for the longer/slower days? My HM pb is 1h38.

Cheers
Plus,the difference on a slow run is 5.05 if your target is 3:30 and 5.25 if it’s 3:45 so maybe play around with a realistic but challenging target race time. Hope that helps. Rich

Cheers
Have you ever tried running by heart rate? If you've got a watch, make sure you've correctly entered your max. HR and resting HR, and check that you are running in the lower zones on those runs.

Another way is simply to go by feel. It's usually said that you should be able to hold a full conversation (or sing) when you're going at LSR pace or easy run pace.

I'd take this approach rather than looking at numbers as your paces will change depending on various factors such as how much running you've done recently.

Have you ever tried running by heart rate? If you've got a watch, make sure you've correctly entered your max. HR and resting HR, and check that you are running in the lower zones on those runs.

Another way is simply to go by feel. It's usually said that you should be able to hold a full conversation (or sing) when you're going at LSR pace or easy run pace.

I'd take this approach rather than looking at numbers as your paces will change depending on various factors such as how much running you've done recently.
Thanks @Stuuuuuu. Yeah, I'll probably just go by feel then because I end up checking my watch way too much when focusing on my heart rate (or other data) rather than just enjoying the run. Just didn't want to burn out too quickly when increasing the mileage. I'll see how i get on.

Just spent a great weekend at the conti thunder run. Managed four 10k laps for our team with times of 58.37, 59.37, 57.31 and 01.05.58. Not being used to trail running I am absolutely stunned with how well I did (probably helped that the ground was very dry). Legs ache like hell today but can’t wait to do it again next year.

I guess it is all set from what your race pace needs to be to finish in the time you want. I’ve found the distances, times and variety hard but on the other hand feel fitter and stronger and probably most importantly mentally prepared. I’m past 50 now and still try and run like I was 25, I have to put the effort, miles and have a plan otherwise I worry I’ll just plateau with my fitness but like gaz76 i struggle most with a slow run and just end up going for it. Not sure that helps and maybe it’s too structured for you.
I do like the structure of the plans and need it because I just seem to go out and run at a similar pace whatever the distance but do struggle to slow it down. I don't want to pick up injuries or burn out too quickly so I'm thinking the long slow runs are going to be important.

I'll see how it goes during the first few weeks of the plan and adjust if need be.

Thanks, Tricky.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.