Running thread

Cheers Stu. Good advice , I’ve been focused on the under 4 hours mark, but your probably right, I need to just enjoy the race and use it as a base time . Thanks

Cheers Stu. Good advice , I’ve been focused on the under 4 hours mark, but your probably right, I need to just enjoy the race and use it as a base time . Thanks
Nice one. If you go for 4 hours and finish in 4:03, you'll see it as a failure; if you have no time in mind (or a really achievable one like 5 hours) then 4:03 will be a big success.

Evening . Not been on for while. Preparations well under way for the Manchester marathon. Did a half marathon yesterday. This is my 1st marathon and I’m following a training plan someone gave me.
Is it too optimistic to aim for a sub 4 hour run or would you just aim to complete the distance?.
I’ve never gone above 18 mile yet so I’m in unknown territory . I normal average just over 9 min miles on longer runs .
Well done on your progress so far. I'm also running the Manchester Marathon - my first, and am on a similar training plan, with weekly long runs taking me further than I have ever ran before. Hard work, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I receive the Mcr Marathon email updates. I noticed they have race pacers you can follow if you want to achieve a certain time. You can leave the group at any time if it doesn't suit your pace, to run at your own faster or slower pace. They have pace runners at each half hour interval up to six hours.

Not sure if the above would be of interest to you. Personally, I'll be running at my own pace and trying just to enjoy the experience, as per @Stuuuuuu's advice.

I was out running with my local running club last week. (Lymm Runners). They are operating one of the drinks stations (which are every 5k). The lady I was talking to said they would mind a bag for me, with spare kit, in case I need it. (Spare shirt, rain jacket, gels, plasters, water bottle etc.) I'll take them up on this for sure.

She also advised me to take a small first aid kit around with me, as a visit to a first aid station takes ages to go through registration. She said I should take paracetamol, plasters, chafing cream, an electrolyte tablet.

I'm sure the experienced marathon runners on here will have more tips for us as the big day approaches.

Evening . Not been on for while. Preparations well under way for the Manchester marathon. Did a half marathon yesterday. This is my 1st marathon and I’m following a training plan someone gave me.
Is it too optimistic to aim for a sub 4 hour run or would you just aim to complete the distance?.
I’ve never gone above 18 mile yet so I’m in unknown territory . I normal average just over 9 min miles on longer runs .
Hi Pezzer depends on your HM times i guess.I was always told double your HM time and add 20 mins.I did 4.04 in my 1st mara ,half marathon time was was about 1.42 at the time.
Id suggest in your training to do at least 2 runs of 20 miles.
Good luck !

I had a 3 step approach for my first (and only so far) marathon at London 2016. 1st aim Complete 2nd aim Compete 3rd aim Conquer! Basically just aim to achieve the first aim and anything else is a bonus. I’m doing London again this year and finding training much harder this time around but I’m getting there. Did 30km on Sunday, furthest I’ve gone since 2016. Just keep steadily building and it should all fall into place.

your first marathon, don't aim for a time - embrace the challenge and take it all in!

She also advised me to take a small first aid kit around with me, as a visit to a first aid station takes ages to go through registration. She said I should take paracetamol, plasters, chafing cream, an electrolyte tablet.
Interesting advice - I've certainly never heard of that before.

Of course, it's up to you to do whatever you feel is best but I would suggest that carrying any unnecessary extra weight when running that sort of distance is a mistake.

Parecetamol? Pain killers are advised against when partaking in endurance events (except caffeine which is just about the best performance enhancer you could use).

Plasters? Put them on before you start.

Chafing cream? See previous answer.

Electrolytes? Big events usually supply sports drinks which contain electrolytes. You could also pop a couple of salt pills before starting if you're a very salty sweater and if it's a warm day.

The only things I would suggest carrying are fuel (e.g. gels) and something to play music if you want. Everything else is unnecessary extra weight which will slow you down, and believe me - you will feel it after 20 miles.

Great advice on here as always. I am also running the Marathon but my training has been a bit erratic as I have been running a few events at wkends, or going out for faster trail runs so missed out on a few LSR runs and midweek sprint/hill work.

On the flip side I ran a tough 14.5 miler at weekend, out on the trails, through woods, crop fields and around 450 metres of ascent. Came home in 1:57, shattered, but buzzing after enjoying panoramic views over glorious countryside.

I must admit the advice to enjoy it is lovely, but I think deep down I know what I expect to achieve and will be disappointed if I go over that. I suppose it depends how we are wired and as it is my first Marathon I could end up failing gloriously.

@Paladin I plan to take a few gels, cliff bloks, jelly babies and a couple of electrolyte tabs, to mix in, with the water at the aid stations. If it is hot (Very unlikely) my own bottle of water with an electrolyte tab.

I have found, due to sweating a lot when running, I need to regularly refuel and so try to take on a swigs of water, with an electrolyte tab mixed in every couple of Ks. Also on sunday the aid stations were giving out jelly babies and although it was probably only a quick high, and not very sustainable, they were a real help when I needed a quick fix when I was hitting a low point and another hill was looming in front of me.

Best advice is dont wait for race day to find out, get buying gels, cliff bloks, electrolyte tabs now and see how you react to them on your training runs. I digest gels pretty well but one of the lads I run with, they play havoc with his guts.

As for chafing I have moved away from shorts with inner linings and found I have less of an issue with separate shorts and underwear from companies like Runderwear or Saxx. Bit pricey but very comfortable and designed with runners in mind.

Last edited:
Interesting advice - I've certainly never heard of that before.

Of course, it's up to you to do whatever you feel is best but I would suggest that carrying any unnecessary extra weight when running that sort of distance is a mistake.

Parecetamol? Pain killers are advised against when partaking in endurance events (except caffeine which is just about the best performance enhancer you could use).

Plasters? Put them on before you start.

Chafing cream? See previous answer.

Electrolytes? Big events usually supply sports drinks which contain electrolytes. You could also pop a couple of salt pills before starting if you're a very salty sweater and if it's a warm day.

The only things I would suggest carrying are fuel (e.g. gels) and something to play music if you want. Everything else is unnecessary extra weight which will slow you down, and believe me - you will feel it after 20 miles.
Thanks @Stuuuuuu. She meant plasters in case of a trip, or other minor accident. Personally, I've never experienced chafing, and I've never had a headache in my 60 years, so they would be off my list also. But it might be handy advice for some.

The fact that there are drinks stations every 5km, and half of those will have gels also, well mean even less for me and others to carry round. As you say, the less junk, the better.

Thanks @Stuuuuuu. She meant plasters in case of a trip, or other minor accident. Personally, I've never experienced chafing, and I've never had a headache in my 60 years, so they would be off my list also. But it might be handy advice for some.

The fact that there are drinks stations every 5km, and half of those will have gels also, well mean even less for me and others to carry round. As you say, the less junk, the better.
Indeed. Just remember the golden rule of doing nothing new on race day. So make sure that you train using the same gels and drinks as provided on the day (if you intend to use them).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.