Running thread

My longest training long run, and my longest ever run completed today - 33km, or 20.5 miles, in 4 hours, 19 minutes. I'm very pleased with that. Could I add another 9km to this distance? Yes, I think so. Sheer determination will see me through on 10 October.

I started at 7:30am, and it was lovely and sunny. It remained sunny for the whole run, and it gradually warmed up throughout the morning.

For fuelling, I took four SIS gels with me, and took them at 6km intervals. I started the day with a protein bar, and had another after 10km. I don't find these easy to swallow though, so I will probably avoid in future. I also took five SaltSticks tablets to replace electrolytes during the run. I thought these would be very salty, but they aren't. They taste very nice.

I ran around Rostherne and through Mere and Bucklow Hill before coming to the Kilton Inn near High Legh. I spotted an outside tap. Unfortunately, it was not working, so I had another 4km to go before my first water break, at High Legh Garden Centre.

The route was fairly flat after this, and I got into a nice rhythm before stopping at my next water break at Poplar 2000 services. I had M&S version of Lipton's Peach Tea - so refreshing.

Finishing straight now, through some fields and along the Trans Pennine Trail to end back at Co-op in Heatley Mere for another drink and some chicken pieces, and a 1km walk home.

I'm suitably shattered, but confident of being able to complete my first Marathon. On checking my split times, my fastest lap was the 8th kilometer, at 6 minutes 50 seconds. My second fastest was the 33rd kilometer, which took 7 minutes and 3 seconds, which was a surprise.

We're off to Cornwall tomorrow for the week, so my running will be curtailed. I need some rest though.

Three weeks to go!
You are marathon-ready. Brilliant!

My longest training long run, and my longest ever run completed today - 33km, or 20.5 miles, in 4 hours, 19 minutes. I'm very pleased with that. Could I add another 9km to this distance? Yes, I think so. Sheer determination will see me through on 10 October.

I started at 7:30am, and it was lovely and sunny. It remained sunny for the whole run, and it gradually warmed up throughout the morning.

For fuelling, I took four SIS gels with me, and took them at 6km intervals. I started the day with a protein bar, and had another after 10km. I don't find these easy to swallow though, so I will probably avoid in future. I also took five SaltSticks tablets to replace electrolytes during the run. I thought these would be very salty, but they aren't. They taste very nice.

I ran around Rostherne and through Mere and Bucklow Hill before coming to the Kilton Inn near High Legh. I spotted an outside tap. Unfortunately, it was not working, so I had another 4km to go before my first water break, at High Legh Garden Centre.

The route was fairly flat after this, and I got into a nice rhythm before stopping at my next water break at Poplar 2000 services. I had M&S version of Lipton's Peach Tea - so refreshing.

Finishing straight now, through some fields and along the Trans Pennine Trail to end back at Co-op in Heatley Mere for another drink and some chicken pieces, and a 1km walk home.

I'm suitably shattered, but confident of being able to complete my first Marathon. On checking my split times, my fastest lap was the 8th kilometer, at 6 minutes 50 seconds. My second fastest was the 33rd kilometer, which took 7 minutes and 3 seconds, which was a surprise.

We're off to Cornwall tomorrow for the week, so my running will be curtailed. I need some rest though.

Three weeks to go!

Well played Sir

Three weeks to go!

Great effort that mate and you sound more than ready for the Marathon and what you achieved today is an achievement in itself. Certainly how I felt when I broke 20 miles.

My last long run is the self-titled ‘super hilly’ Winchester Half Marathon tomorrow and then the taper starts.

I was worried about how easy it would be to drop the mileage but suffering with a few niggles so dropping down the miles now will be welcome. Ideally I would not be in a semi-competitive race tomorrow and would be on a training run, but it is what it is. Roll on Mcr now.

@gaz76, just seen that you've treated yourself to a pair of Alphaflys (good run by the way!). How do they compare to the Vaporflys? I'm looking for a pair for my marathon in December and torn between the two. Prefer the look of the Vaporfly but heard to Alphas are better for that distance.

Last major run today before the Manchester marathon. Managed just under 1:30 (chip time) for quite a tough/hilly half marathon. Started far too slow, fearing the hills, so probably put a bit too much in today, than planned, in the latter stages.

Great run though, well marshalled and very well attended, with great crowd support. Buzzing now and just wets the appetite for Manchester.

@gaz76, just seen that you've treated yourself to a pair of Alphaflys (good run by the way!). How do they compare to the Vaporflys? I'm looking for a pair for my marathon in December and torn between the two. Prefer the look of the Vaporfly but heard to Alphas are better for that distance.
Hi mate, hard to give a verdict after the first go, they were good up until around mile 14 when they seemed to become a little heavy, but theres lots of variables in that, first go, midday heat, nowt to eat all day etc etc..
In fairness though I had the same with the vapourflys when I first got them, I think for the price you pay for them and their reputation, you kinda expect some sort of magic carpet effect, the vapourflys are really good but they dont offer anywhere near as much stability as the alphas, they a bit like ice skates at times!! The alphas you just kinda know your not going to go over an ankle, but like i say early days for my verdict as they seemed very heavy towards they end of my run, be interested to hear @Stuuuuuu s opinion on this as I know he has a pair.
On a side note, I also have a pair of the tempos which I think are my favourite as they just seem to love going fast, might be worth a look? Think I expected the alphas to be a mega version of them, hopefully with time they will be

Hi mate, hard to give a verdict after the first go, they were good up until around mile 14 when they seemed to become a little heavy, but theres lots of variables in that, first go, midday heat, nowt to eat all day etc etc..
In fairness though I had the same with the vapourflys when I first got them, I think for the price you pay for them and their reputation, you kinda expect some sort of magic carpet effect, the vapourflys are really good but they dont offer anywhere near as much stability as the alphas, they a bit like ice skates at times!! The alphas you just kinda know your not going to go over an ankle, but like i say early days for my verdict as they seemed very heavy towards they end of my run, be interested to hear @Stuuuuuu s opinion on this as I know he has a pair.
On a side note, I also have a pair of the tempos which I think are my favourite as they just seem to love going fast, might be worth a look? Think I expected the alphas to be a mega version of them, hopefully with time they will be
Cheers mate. I'll take a look at the tempos as well. Let us know how you get on with the Alphas after a few more runs.
There's a lot of choice out there at the moment (New Balance RC elite, Endorphin speed etc.) so I'd probably be best getting to a local running shop and trying them on before splashing out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.