Running thread

Agree here.
I remember pushing around the 20 min mark the year before last and finding it psychologically tough as well as physical.
I still want it but not sure how much I can push it.
When I was doing these times I was much thinner but an hip injury meant I had to join a gym to strength train (on advice from the surgeons).
Ended up bulking up with muscle (not ridiculously so) and hence being heavier, but looked better (well I did before covid stopped all exercise and I piled the pounds on and lost the muscle).
I was a bit thin and sinnowy back then.

A nice 10k - to half at a decent pace and a nice soundtrack can be blissful.

Indeed mate. Glad I got one recorded but not quite as memorable as I expected it to be. I had run faster before, during the duration of longer races so maybe that took the gloss of a little.

Agree about the 10k. I would add a few stunning views, few rays of sunshine, plus the music and it’s a perfect day.

Once you hit your stride running. the weight will drop off. I am not sure of your age, I think from memory in your 30s, but as I have hit my 40s doing resistance and weight training has become more essential to fight off injuries. The gym is not my favourite bedfellow so I primarily use a pack of resistance bands from decathlon and a few videos from youtube, focusing on knee/glutes strengthening, has kept me injury free this year.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Indeed mate. Glad I got one recorded but not quite as memorable as I expected it to be. I had run faster before, during the duration of longer races so maybe that took the gloss of a little.

Agree about the 10k. I would add a few stunning views, few rays of sunshine, plus the music and it’s a perfect day.

Once you hit your stride running. the weight will drop off. I am not sure of your age, I think from memory in your 30s, but as I have hit my 40s doing resistance and weight training has become more essential to fight off injuries. The gym is not my favourite bedfellow so I primarily use a pack of resistance bands from decathlon and a few videos from youtube, focusing on knee/glutes strengthening, has kept me injury free this year.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks mate. It’s all reversing now tbf. Few months of the gym (& my strength levels are better than before lockdown /covid) & a about 6 runs are getting me back in shape.
Half the struggle with the running was carrying that extra load (at least a stone in weight).

I don’t actually weight myself, I kind of judge by my shape/clothes.
Or if I wold whistle my reflection in a shop window.

I personally love the gym - lovely community & the yoga & Pilates classes have done utter wonders.
I’m 48 btw

When the balance is right I can eat well & stay in good shape whilst getting those good vibe chems from exercise.

Keep it up mate.

Went back to the hill training today after several months of the Maffetone type runs, supplemented with 5 a side twice a week.

Felt fine doing them but feel absolutely fucked now. Yawning every few minutes and that "heavy" feeling in my head.

Probably need a day off from activity tomorrow.

Went back to the hill training today after several months of the Maffetone type runs, supplemented with 5 a side twice a week.

Felt fine doing them but feel absolutely fucked now. Yawning every few minutes and that "heavy" feeling in my head.

Probably need a day off from activity tomorrow.
I get that.
On a roll through exercising....then think I should have a break to rest up then the guilt creeps in.
Always better to take a day or two off to rest your body.
Do sleep better though....

October marathon number three done last night, did the Fractured marathon down in Derbyshire, had to run 2.6 miles starting every half an hour for 5 hours, sounds pretty simple, but it was in the pitch black and cross country, had a blast and think I preferred it to the road marathons, somehow managed to finish 4th in 3.18. Delighted with that as there was a lot of "proper" runners doing it.
Was organised by andy brooks and his team at https://www.peakrunning.co.uk/
I definitely recommend looking up some of their events, such a friendly bunch and great events

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.