Russia Zorbing Accident: Father Killed In Fall

mcfcinprague

Team supported
Manchester City since 1962
Would you zorb down a mountain at a ski resort?

A man has died in a zorbing accident after the giant inflatable ball he was strapped into fell off a cliff edge.

Father-of-two Denis Burakov, 27, broke his back and spine when the out-of-control orb hurtled down a mountain at the Dombai ski resort in southern Russia.

His friend Vladimir Shcherbov, 33, who was in the ball with him, escaped with minor cuts and bruises.

The accident was caught on camera by his friends.

The footage shows the pair climbing into the ball, and one friend can be heard saying: "Denis, you'll be like Jackie Chan in the Armour of God movie."

Two members of resort staff then push the orb down the piste, and another staff member is on hand at the bottom to stop it.

But as it neared the gathered crowd it suddenly veered left, and a man's voice can be heard saying: "Oh ****, it's gone in the wrong direction again."

He screamed to "hold it" but then said: "It's OK, it'll stop by itself."

The orb sped out of control and disappeared from view over a cliff edge. It travelled for nearly a mile before coming to a halt on a frozen lake.

Russian crash investigators said in a statement: "For unknown reasons the ball deviated from the route and fell into the Gonachkhir gorge - a slope of 70-80 degrees."

Authorities are interviewing eyewitnesses and relatives of the victims, as they decide whether to launch criminal proceedings.

Zorbs have been adopted as a symbol on the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBAtLGMamVU[/youtube]

Must've benn terrifing inside that knowing what was coming up. Maybe they were too disorientated to realise but looking at the mountain backdrop it looks like one hell of a drop to the bottom.
Always gives me a chill in my spine watching something where it goes wrong and it's for real. Not nice.

Its a pretty harrowing video to be honest. The final shots of the ball flying off into the rocks is terrible. The first time I saw the video I had no idea anyone died, I just saw the ball rolling off thinking 'Heh, that's what you get for zorbing in a dodgy place with no H&S..', then you see it flying into the rocks and you realise that someone probably copped it. Amazing that one of them survived.

that must have been bloody terrifying.

You just hope they were hurtling at such a rate that they passed out or something before the event...

I trust city will reconsider their half time "entertainment"...

adrianr said:
Its a pretty harrowing video to be honest. The final shots of the ball flying off into the rocks is terrible. The first time I saw the video I had no idea anyone died, I just saw the ball rolling off thinking 'Heh, that's what you get for zorbing in a dodgy place with no H&S..', then you see it flying into the rocks and you realise that someone probably copped it. Amazing that one of them survived.
I think it's more amazing that Harry Hill will only give them £200 for it.

For a start, I don't think I'd put myself inside something that would be likely to make me spew all over the insides. Has anyone here ever tried it? But to think of going down a mountain slope in or on any form of 'transport,' without the control of being able to stop - is beyond me. Mindboggling.

2sheikhs said:
adrianr said:

The terrible thing is I've been trying to stop laughing for 5 minutes. You bastard :)

2sheikhs said:
adrianr said:

Haha. At least the show will get some original content.

adrianr said:
2sheikhs said:
adrianr said:

Haha. At least the show will get some original content.
The explanation to his mrs when he gets home should be pretty original too.
"You'll never believe what happened to me today love. There I was, just minding my own business stood in a fucking giant plastic ball with my mate on top of a mountain and you'll never guess what happened..............."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.