Russian invasion of Ukraine

Looking at all these pictures or videos of Russian tanks and soldiers my one worry is these are young recruits and basic tanks.

It is known that Russia has some of thelatetest military tech, something these don't look like and hardened veterans of several conflicts.

So my worry is he has sent kids and basic equipment in a first wave to test the place and something more experienced and techinacally deadlier will arrive soon in a second wave.

Any experts on Russias present tech and army know about this

That's what I meant. We are all told how wonderful it is that we have ALL agreed to stop swift payments, except we haven't. It's another sham. Germany needs gas and need to sell cars, electric goods etc so they have maintained a back door means of payment.

Except it isn’t a sham. It’s a huge step along with freezing Russian Central Bank assets, and, more importantly it is being done collectively. You will always get some individual feet dragging, Germany and Italy reliant on Russian gas, UK still not sanctioning Sberbank or being twatish over relaxing Visa requirements, but this level and scale of Western cooperation hasn’t been seen in decades and that is important in the long run.

Europe is not going to be the same place after this and the level of cooperation we are showing bodes well in my opinion.

Looking at all these pictures or videos of Russian tanks and soldiers my one worry is these are young recruits and basic tanks.

It is known that Russia has some of thelatetest military tech, something these don't look like and hardened veterans of several conflicts.

So my worry is he has sent kids and basic equipment in a first wave to test the place and something more experienced and techinacally deadlier will arrive soon in a second wave.

I think Putin thought he could storm in, capture the airport on day 1 and fly his top boys in seize the capital and the rest would fall by day 3.
That clearly hasn't happened so now he will resort to bombing/shelling everything and anything in an attempt to break their spirit.

Oh just realised you wanted a reply from an expert.......
I'll take the dog for a walk.

Had a blazing row with my youngest boy this morning, him talking about his friend and him going to help Ukraine as part of this 'foreign legion'.
He has no military training whatsoever, he's studying law at Uni ffs, what would he do, read to them ????
I'd imagine it's all talk & just young mens bravado, well i hope it is.
Then i think about Ukrainian parents & their children taking up the fight.
Not sure i can stop him if he's determined to go, hopefully he'll calm down
You should be proud he is even thinking like this. Hope he doesn't go for your sake but you seem to have done a great job raising him.

In raw terms the more Russians die the better as the conflict will be over sooner.

There was an American tank engineer on Twitter yesterday who was saying that tanks “look cool” but are pretty much all ancient rusting heaps of shit that aren’t actually much use.

So I inferred from that that these actually are the best tech they’ve got.

On Friday there was a claim on the radio that links between Russia and China meant exclusion from Swift would merely delay currency transfers rather than fully isolate the Russian economy.
Perhaps Germany doesn't want to risk damaging their own economy by supporting a weak measure if the claim is true.
Do any of our banking experts know if that is the case.
I said banking ffs.
SWIFT isn't a banking service as such. No money passes through it but it sends messages that A has to pay B a sum of money and tells them how to pay it. They then have to use a payment mechanism to physically move that money.

So the Russian banks removed will have no idea what money is due to them and when. And neither will the payer.

Except it isn’t a sham. It’s a huge step along with freezing Russian Central Bank assets, and, more importantly it is being done collectively. You will always get some individual feet dragging, Germany and Italy reliant on Russian gas, UK still not sanctioning Sberbank or being twatish over relaxing Visa requirements, but this level and scale of Western cooperation hasn’t been seen in decades and that is important in the long run.

Europe is not going to be the same place after this and the level of cooperation we are showing bodes well in my opinion.
But if it is easily by passed what is the point of stopping swift. To me it is just tub thumping. I hope I'm wrong.

Some countries are declared neutrals amidst any future conflicts:
Austria, Costa Rica, Finland, Ghana, Ireland, Japan, Liechtenstein, Malta, Mexico, Mongolia, Moldova, Panama, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Vatican City.

And there are 120 countries in the Non-Aligned Movement:

This only really leaves countries like Aus+NZ, who are NATO allies. And North Korea and South Korea, who are obliviously in a precarious position with each other as it is.

It’s proper harsh on Ukraine, but they’re pretty much on their own.

Now, there has been news of Belarusian forces heading to the Poland (my Grandad’s country!) border. Anything happens there and NATO plus other allies will get involved.

Ukraine is isolated in terms of boots on the ground. That said, Ukraine are getting a lot of intelligence help and would have been informed of Russia’s plans to invade and surround Kiev, weeks ago. Commentators have tried to make out that Russia’s invasion was a surprise but it was nailed on.

it’s been reported in the press that the Ukrainian army has destroyed a convoy of Chechen special forces / Russia’s kill squad. If that is true then I think the Ukrainians would have benefitted from military intelligence from NATO countries. These things don’t happen by chance.

Weapons support to Ukraine is increasing but it might be too late.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.