"Russia's Hooligan Army" BBC2 Tonight

They used to show us films of the Russian Spetsnaz in the Army to try and show us we did have a meaningful opposition. The truth was that the average squaddie, was tougher and better trained. Fighting for the sake of it, to show you are manly, is actually just showing the opposite.

The difference, which you patriotically ignore, old or young, these hybrids would kick the fuck out of either or. You can be as 'hard' as you like, anyone who has trained in any sort of fighting style would walk through them!!

I get your point and for me it is a yes and no answer here. Firstly for the Russians that boat has long sailed. Due to the crackdown on hooligans in this country and travelling abroad, banning orders etcetera, by the time the Russians could travel fairly freely and wanted a piece of it it was over, well for the English hooligans anyway.

As for the trained fighters theory well if they were all trained to the level of our old friend Ronnie Green yes, but they wouldn't be. A lot will have done a bit in the gym,the odd lesson here and there and be up for a fight but not hardened trained and skilled fighters. In fact there is some footage out there from France where one young lad stood and fought back. It took about 8 of these so called trained killers to get him down and even then they didn't find it easy. The old battle scarred firms were doing it week in week out, on the terraces and in streets and pubs and clubs for years. They were also a lot younger back then. I would have backed them against those steroid bullies anyday, but it is a hypothetical question as it will never happen.

The reality is that any of the hooligans, either 'top-lads' English from the 80's or the Russian Muscle Marys are shithouses. All bullies who only want it when the numbers are in their favour. Nothing hard about any of them.

Just watched this doc finally, and I was left wondering - WTF has this got to do with football?
There were a few football firms, lads who go to the games and so on and also scrap, but a large section of this documentary focused on lads who train in MMA, probably Krav Maga knowing these Russian Twats and didn't mention football whatsoever.
They just organised to meet another group of lads who also train in martial arts in some field and have it out.

This is their way of getting a "kick" pardon the pun, instead of drink/drugs and skinny jeans like the English lads of today who are out parading every weekend and scrapping in the streets whilst pissed and coked up.

If anything these Russian vermin are behaving better than the English/Romanian/Pakistani morons out this weekend all on the sniff and fighting over some coke-whore.

As one poster mentions, the Russian lads wouldn't behave like this if say the WC was being hosted in USA as they'd just be shot and sent back home in bodybags.
But to compare their toughness with English firms of yesteryears toughness is just petulant and irrelevant.

Much easier to get PED's now, and it's even easier to learn fighting styles with MMA Gyms everywhere and video guides for techniques on youtube.

I feel sorry for the Russian lads.
They must lead sad, unfulfilling lives having this desire to somehow prove themselves by beating up pissed up football tourists who are out of shape.

My advice for anyone going over there would be to avoid grouping together, don't wear colours, don't fucking speak haha, try and blend in with the locals.

Big gang of lads, you'll be spotted a mile away and these morons will come at you :(
Doesn't matter how tough you are, they are organised, well trained and want to build a rep.... I'd be running a mile away if I was over there for the footy.

The reality is that any of the hooligans, either 'top-lads' English from the 80's or the Russian Muscle Marys are shithouses. All bullies who only want it when the numbers are in their favour. Nothing hard about any of them.

Tell you something Mike there were plenty back in the 80s who would not be worried about number being in their favour, a fair few blues amongst them. As for other clubs there were plenty with lads who would willingly go toe to toe against the odds, a good few smaller clubs Stockport and Burnley are two local ones that spring to mind. Further afield Millwall were not short of lads who were game regardless of the opposition numbers or reputation. You are wrong about them not being hard....as for being shithouses that in some respects is fair comment as having a mass brawl on a train or in a station or town centre where innocent passers by can at worst get hurt at best have the shit scared out of them is indeed arsehole behaviour.

Tell you something Mike there were plenty back in the 80s who would not be worried about number being in their favour, a fair few blues amongst them. As for other clubs there were plenty with lads who would willingly go toe to toe against the odds, a good few smaller clubs Stockport and Burnley are two local ones that spring to mind. Further afield Millwall were not short of lads who were game regardless of the opposition numbers or reputation. You are wrong about them not being hard....as for being shithouses that in some respects is fair comment as having a mass brawl on a train or in a station or town centre where innocent passers by can at worst get hurt at best have the shit scared out of them is indeed arsehole behaviour.

You're probably right, maybe not all are cowards or bullies. We have all witnessed behaviour though, Blues included, where the phase 'shithouse' fits the bill.

I was around in the 80's and attended many away games where there was lots of trouble. I used to know a number of Blues who were part of the City firm so know exactly what went on 'back in the day'. It does annoy me that it's still going on today.

You're probably right, maybe not all are cowards or bullies. We have all witnessed behaviour though, Blues included, where the phase 'shithouse' fits the bill.

I was around in the 80's and attended many away games where there was lots of trouble. I used to know a number of Blues who were part of the City firm so know exactly what went on 'back in the day'. It does annoy me that it's still going on today.

I suppose you have to accept that as we were the first and biggest football nation to have such problems it stands to reason we would be the first to deal with it. Which by and large its has been dealt with, the legal consequences for getting involved in anything football related in this country are a good reason for the vast majority to behave.

Countries such as Russia and even Turkey and Italy are a good way behind in many respects and maybe the authorities in those places are not as keen to clean it up, and lets be honest here, UEFA do little other than a little cosmetic PR to pressure these nations.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.