Ryan Bertrand

Absolutely. He was brilliant against us in the champions league and is still only 20. Only negative is he isnt very tall but he is quick and has a great touch. Dont know what he is like defense wise but he seems to have a "never give up" attitude which would fit with Peps mentality.
I missed his brilliance tbh. Can't remember him in the home game but he looked like a fish out of water against Raheem at Celtic Park; skinned him at will.

I missed his brilliance tbh. Can't remember him in the home game but he looked like a fish out of water against Raheem at Celtic Park; skinned him at will.
Second goal scored as a result of him (og by Sterling), third goal assisted by Tierney (scored by Dembele). If your measure of a good backup LB is if Sterling can skin them, then we are going to struggle to get anyone. On his day Raz can stroll past anyone due to his pace. That includes Mendy who we have just spent north of £50m on.
As i said going forwards he looks great not sure about the defensive side however, but still think he is worth a punt.

Second goal scored as a result of him (og by Sterling), third goal assisted by Tierney (scored by Dembele). If your measure of a good backup LB is if Sterling can skin them, then we are going to struggle to get anyone. On his day Raz can stroll past anyone due to his pace. That includes Mendy who we have just spent north of £50m on.
As i said going forwards he looks great not sure about the defensive side however, but still think he is worth a punt.
The second goal was pure dumb luck so if we're going to use that as an example of 'good going forward' we're also in trouble. We were also shite as a team that night, so probably not the best example. It looks like Pep is trying to introduce real competition for places in every position - Tierney's defending is beyond pants and he's nowhere near at the level of Mendy so barring long-term injury he wouldn't get a chance.

The second goal was pure dumb luck so if we're going to use that as an example of 'good going forward' we're also in trouble. We were also shite as a team that night, so probably not the best example. It looks like Pep is trying to introduce real competition for places in every position - Tierney's defending is beyond pants and he's nowhere near at the level of Mendy so barring long-term injury he wouldn't get a chance.
By 'eck that took a while fella :-) . To be fair Bertrand is by far the best option but unless we pay through to nose or suddenly start playing our football at Clanfield cannot see it happening. Struggling otherwise to think of any British half decent LB who would be also happy to sit on the bench for 50% of the time. If we go non British then my first choice would be Henrichs from Leverkusen (similar to mendy, tall, well 6ft and quite physical) then Gaya from Valencia or Grimaldo from Benfica but they are a bit on the small side. God knows how much any of those are gonna cost though.

By 'eck that took a while fella :-) . To be fair Bertrand is by far the best option but unless we pay through to nose or suddenly start playing our football at Clanfield cannot see it happening. Struggling otherwise to think of any British half decent LB who would be also happy to sit on the bench for 50% of the time. If we go non British then my first choice would be Henrichs from Leverkusen (similar to mendy, tall, well 6ft and quite physical) then Gaya from Valencia or Grimaldo from Benfica but they are a bit on the small side. God knows how much any of those are gonna cost though.
I know, I don't get on here much ;). I suppose it's moot anyway after the Danilo signing because Bertrand probably won't be coming. Even so, I would guess that doing it week in week out in the prem puts him on a different level to Tierney, at what would be a similar price.

My point was about the Scottish league in general, rather than picking on Tierney. In recent times we've sent a few players up there who have tore it up to the point of winning young player of the year- I'm thinking Guidetti, Denayer, Roberts (not to mention Sinclair winning POTY) and when they come back, they're still considered not good enough to be given a go. To put it into perspective, if Angelino had gone up there a couple of years ago he'd probably be keeping Tierney out of the team. No disrespect to the kid, the Celtic fans love him, local boy done good and wears his heart on his sleeve but if we pay ANYTHING for a young player from that league (and be under no illusions, the price to us would be £20m) we've by-passed crazy, taken a detour round mad and fast-tracked straight to broadmoor.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.