Sailing

Captain Oats

Anyone do it? I started crewing about a year ago and of the back of that joined a sailing club and I'm now learning to helm a small solo dinghy. Have to say its one of the best things I've ever done and when I finish I just cant wait for the next weekend so I have time to get back out on the water.

Just wondering if anyone else was into it and if they had joined a sailing club, and any tips! Hoping to start racing soon.

Yes. I've sailed a lot, or at least I did until I moved here last year. I still have a 34-footer in Blighty and I'm headed back next month for a month's cruise on the east coast and over to Holland and Belgium.

When I was working, it was the only activity that could actually take my mind away from work. When you're afloat, you have no other concern than to bring ship and crew home safely. It's a terrific pastime.

Yes.
Next month I'm sailing from Lagos to Horta on a classic 25 footer with a mate.
P6241192.JPG

Chartering in Croatia in September with my girlfriend. Sun Odyssey 32i for a week.
:-)

tangora you hit the nail on the head. My work is very stressfull at the moment, but sailing really does help take your mind of it!

I'd love to start chartering big 30+ footers in the future. Definitely a goal of mine.

Captain Oats said:
tangora you hit the nail on the head. My work is very stressfull at the moment, but sailing really does help take your mind of it!

I'd love to start chartering big 30+ footers in the future. Definitely a goal of mine.

Do you have an ICC or RYA Day skipper cert?
If not, I would highly recommend doing the theory course online then booking a week day skipper course somewhere warm and tidal. Great way to learn skills and get some experience on larger boats.

I did my practical Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper practicals in Gibraltar with a rum old so-and-so called Jack Peat. Very tidal in the straits and the wind can't half howl off that rock.

I have ICC, CEVNI, VHF and yacht-master theory qualifications, but gave up logging miles for the yacht-master practical when I bought my own boat. Make of that what you will.

I'd advise anyone wishing to get into sailing to take an RYA competant crew course, ideally somewhere warm. It assumes zero prior knowledge or experience of yachting and gives you a good idea of what it's all about.

tangaroa said:
I did my practical Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper practicals in Gibraltar with a rum old so-and-so called Jack Peat. Very tidal in the straits and the wind can't half howl off that rock.

I have ICC, CEVNI, VHF and yacht-master theory qualifications, but gave up logging miles for the yacht-master practical when I bought my own boat. Make of that what you will.

I'd advise anyone wishing to get into sailing to take an RYA competant crew course, ideally somewhere warm. It assumes zero prior knowledge or experience of yachting and gives you a good idea of what it's all about.

I did mine in Gib too! :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.