Sales/returns question

Ric

Administrator
Bought some trousers online earlier this week, and annoyingly they've just gone in their sale at 25% cheaper than I paid for them. Am I within my consumer rights to return the (unused) pair I bought, and just reorder them at the sale price?

Maybe just email them and explain. We have a policy where we will just refund the customer the difference, easier all round and saves them paying to send another pair to you, for you to send them straight back.

Reactions: Ric
Bought some trousers online earlier this week, and annoyingly they've just gone in their sale at 25% cheaper than I paid for them. Am I within my consumer rights to return the (unused) pair I bought, and just reorder them at the sale price?
I did that recently for a jacket at M&S, returned one and got a refund then bought the same item off the shelf at the reduced price

I've had a similar thing, well Mrs Death has, they would refund but only at the price paid on the receipt... Cash em in then buy the discounted pair... They have to give your money back as long as it's within the date range specified .... Best to do it as two separate transactions ...

No, you're not within your rights to return them and ask for the money back for that reason because that was your choice to buy them then and not wait around for an inevitable sale, which always happens. It'd open a whole can of worms for any form of retail sale ever, as it'd effectively put companies out of business if every time they put a sale on with people coming back demanding money ha. Think about it - football shirts, cars, albums, offers on alcohol, games, discounted holiday packages etc. Everything....BUT having said, I'm going to guess they allow refunds anyway? 99% of places do. Just return them and say they're not the right fit. Order a new pair. If it's online no one is gonna give a shit are they? Sorted. Just don't mention the price thing.

This is coming from a guy who worked in retail for about ten years. That principle question used to drive me mad if im being totally honest haha. When you think about it in more detail, it doesn't really make too much sense for a few reasons. One is that no ever complains when they get a bargain (and many just hang around for a sale to come on to do that anyway) but they're happy to do it the other way around if they realise they paid more than someone else, a week earlier ;)

Reactions: Ric
No, you're not within your rights to return them and ask for the money back for that reason because that was your choice to buy them then. It'd open a whole can of worms for any form of sale ever, as it'd effectively put companies out of business if every time they put a sale on with people coming back demanding money ha. Think about it - football shirts, albums, offers on alcohol, games, discounted holiday packages etc. Everything....BUT having said, I'm going to guess they allow refunds anyway? 99% of places do. Just return them and say they're not the right fit. Order a new pair. If it's online no one is gonna give a shit are they? Sorted.

This is coming from a guy who worked in retail for about ten years. That principle question used to drive me mad if im being totally honest haha. When you think about it in more detail, it doesn't really make too much sense for a few reasons. One is that no ever complains when they get a bargain (and many just hang around for a sale to come on to do that anyway) but they're happy to do it the other way around if they realise they paid more than someone else, a week earlier ;)

This is utterly uninformed rubbish.
It confirms my suspicion that many people working in retail are completely ignorant of consumer protection Legislation.

On line sales legislation is different from shop legislation and allows the buyer to notify of intention to return within 14 days and to then return within 28 days on all bar a few products.
You don't even need a reason to get a full refund.

See the on line sales section on the govt website here
https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

Last edited:
This is utter rubbish.

On line sales legislation is different from shop legislation and allows the buyer to notify of intention to return within 14 days and to then return within 28 days on all bar a few products.
You don't even need a reason to get a full refund.

It's not rubbish, given I never said it was an online thing. Was just talking entirely about in store, which is always a cracking way of trying to annoy a poorly paid, member of staff trying to hit a sales target haha. As I said anyway, you most likely don't have to provide a reason, no one is gonna know anyway, so may as well just do it :)

It's not rubbish, given I never said it was an online thing. Was just talking entirely about in store, which is always a cracking way of trying to annoy a poorly paid, member of staff trying to hit a sales target haha. As I said anyway, you most likely don't have to provide a reason, no one is gonna know anyway, so may as well just do it :)

Why stick your nose into a thread about on line purchases then?
The op bought on line.
He is within his rights to return. He doesn't need a reason.
You said he wasn't within his rights.
You are wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.